New Technology Could Wipe Out Trillions In Fossil Fuel Investment
Unum
2018-06-10 23:17:18 UTC
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/New-Technology-Could-Wipe-Out-Trillions-in-Fossil-Fuel-Investment.html

We are living in a carbon bubble with trillions of dollars held in oil, gas,
and coal assets that would be wiped out before long as technological
advancements in all sorts of industries quickly undermine fossil fuel demand.

This is the gist of a recent study led by the University of Cambridge, which
involved macroeconomic simulations, with the researchers concluding we are on
the brink of a much worse financial crisis than the one from 2008 as between 1
and 3 trillion worth of fossil fuel investments turn into stranded assets. For
context, the authors note that the 2008 crisis was sparked by losses to the
tune of US$250 billion.

The fast pace of technological progress in renewable energy and elsewhere that
is producing higher levels of energy efficiency is the driver of the crisis.
Wally W.
2018-06-10 23:27:00 UTC
Post by Unum
[...]
Do you find some level of glee in the prospect of a financial crisis?

If it prompts cannibalism, are you sure you won't be lunch?
Bret Cahill
Creationists should be gleeful. They'll impeach tRUMP and that'll get creationist Pense into the White House.
JTEM is right
2018-06-10 23:53:59 UTC
"It's so cheap that it's expensive!"

Alternatives are hideously expensive,
not just in their direct coast, not
just in the storage schemes they require,
not just in the replacement of vast
areas of the existing grid but in the
loss of productivity. We simply are
unable to do as much with alternatives
as we can with fossil fuels.

With fossil fuels, energy is always where
and when you need it. Period.

Unum
2018-06-11 01:35:13 UTC
Same dumb lie, different day.
R Kym Horsell
2018-06-11 02:45:30 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by JTEM is right
"It's so cheap that it's expensive!"
Alternatives are hideously expensive,
Same dumb lie, different day.
The utilization numbers for the old stuff are falling each year (graph
for the US posted a couple times).
The owners can't afford to run them as hard as they used to and
leaving them idle also costs money.

There was the situation in Sth Aust famously last y when the grid
operator called for extra generation to come online and the generating
compnaies apparenbtly "failed to hear the call" and nothing was switched on.

One of them happened to have 2 gas peakers in their plant and it turns out
one has been quietly mothballed a few years ago because no situation can
forseeably come up that will make it profitable to turn it on.

Don't worry. The taxpayers pick up the tab for that. It was in the
contract of sale when the plant was privatised a few ys back.
--
[A blunder of biblical proportions:]
Post by Unum
What were WE doing in 1710 to cause this HEATWAVE?
Watch and learn from a REAL climatologist... not one who pretends to be
one on USENET, of all places. LOL
[Unum:]
A hand drawn chart from a couple of weathermen, lol.
[Alleycat:]
LOL... ANOTHER lie... Cliff Harris is a CLIMATOLOGIST... are you? Noope.
-- Alleycat Computers Hillbilly Davis, 4/17/2016 6:09 PM
[Resident Ebil Eye:]

Can you point to some of his publications, ratboy? As a CLIMATOLOGIST? Looks
to me like his background is insurance, lol. But he did write a peachy-keen
book! Complete with MANY capitalized RANDOM words like you!

http://weather-and-bible-prophecy.myshopify.com/

Cliff Harris presents a new book on the scientific and spiritual approaches
on how the WEATHER has played a MAJOR ROLE in the BIBLE.

-- Unum, 18 Apr 2016

Adddendum:

Cliff Harris has one of the most extensive collections of private weather
records in the Northwest. Since age 11, he has compiled nearly 100 weather
scrapbooks that detail major events throughout the U.S. and the world on a
daily basis.
Do YOU study weather and climate to the tune of 100 scrapbooks detailing
major weather events?
-- alleycat computers hillbilly davis, 4/17/2016 10:53 PM
JTEM is right
2018-06-11 02:54:24 UTC
Barred from school zones, Unum wrote:

[Same dumb lie]

"Alternatives are so cheap that they're expensive!"

Chom Noamsky