A geniune bioengineering solution
Add Reply
JTEM is right
2018-06-12 20:38:40 UTC
Now this is not my idea, I'm taking what I
read online and running with it, but...

https://webberenergyblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/a-novel-approach-to-practical-applications-of-cetacea-oil/

Fishing as an industry is coming to a close
on the planet earth. It's unsustainable.
Humans have overfished for the better part
of two centuries, and the truth is that
according to paleo marine biology, we humans
were already impacting on fish populations
in pre history...

"Farming" is the future. "Ocean management."

Instead of throwing out nets and hoping we
catch something, we'll seed the oceans, grow
our stock the way a farmer grows his crops
in a field. And this makes sense for our
food, but it also makes sense for our fuel...

Whale oil is a great, all natural, carbon
neutral source of energy. Plus the whales
are a food source, their teeth a source for
ivory, their bones an excellent fertilizer.

All we need to do to breed, or bio engineer,
a type of whale for maximum growth rate, and
maximum oil production, and all our problems
are solved!

Plus: It would create thousands of jobs!

Hey, it's a win-win all around, so get on
the phone and call your representatives in
government right now: Whaling is our future!

Chom Noamsky
2018-06-13 06:12:16 UTC
Post by JTEM is right
[...]
Actually, it was hydrocarbon fuels that saved whales from extinction.

As for a whale oil renaissance, I hope you weren't actually being serious.
JTEM is right
2018-06-13 15:41:17 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
As for a whale oil renaissance, I hope you
weren't actually being serious.
There are thousands of people online advocating
genocide to save the environment, but we can't
talking about raising whales for slaughter.

That was my hidden point.

JTEM is right
2018-06-18 04:40:54 UTC
Okay, here's the deal...

One whale comes to like 20 barrels of oil.
Exactly how many BTUs we're talking I don't
know, but records indicate that Sperm Whale
oil burned brightest, cleanest and without
a bad smell, plus every 14 year old boy on
the planet would get a kick out of saying
"Sperm" whale...

Next, we selectively breed or bioengineer
these "Sperm" whales <snicker> to mature
much faster, grow much bigger and produce
even more oil.

....figure at least 20% more, so now we're
up to at least 24 barrels of oil each.

Now some 70% of the earth is ocean, and with
humans depleting fish stocks in most of it,
we have *Way* lots of room for whale farming.
So maybe we can get a bioengineered population
up to 100 million or beyond -- that's 2.4
billion barrels of carbon neutral oil, at
least -- which, together with a gas guzzler
ban, would cover all of U.S. ground transport
needs.

Wow. Imagine that; taking U.S. auto needs out
of the current global oil market entirely...

PLUS, remember that whales are food for humans
and or livestock, PLUS their bones make
awesome fertilizer, PLUS their teeth are a
great source of ivory...

THINK OF ALL THE NEW JOBS WE'D CREATE!

So let's start razing whales the same way
we do sheep & cattle... FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!