Elon Musk Is Really About Freedom -- Freedom From the Status Quo
2018-09-09 15:11:52 UTC
Freedom from tar goop is just the beginning.
Wally W.
2018-09-09 15:39:51 UTC
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 08:11:52 -0700 (PDT), Bret Cahill wrote:

Subject line: Elon Musk Is Really About Freedom -- Freedom From the
Status Quo

Just how much of the status quo do you want unhinged?

"we live in the greatest nation in the the history of the world. I
hope you will join with me as we try to change it."
Chom Noamsky
2018-09-10 10:39:14 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Freedom from tar goop is just the beginning.
Not sure what Musk is about, but forcing people into EVs is anything but
freedom. Competitive markets offer an array of product on a level
playing field and let the consumer decide.

Greenies OTOH, compel markets, deprive the consumer of choice, and slant
the field with incentives financed on the backs of other people.

I'm all for any technology that succeeds on its own merit, but Musk's
Tesla would have been long defunct if not for the lavish amounts of free
money it gets.

No U.S. corporation in history has had the kind of government financial
support that Tesla has gotten, yet the company is perpetually one or two
quarters away from insolvency.
columbiaaccidentinvestigation
2018-09-10 12:36:24 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Bret Cahill
Freedom from tar goop is just the beginning.
Not sure what Musk is about, but forcing people into EVs is anything but
freedom. Competitive markets offer an array of product on a level
playing field and let the consumer decide.
Greenies OTOH, compel markets, deprive the consumer of choice, and slant
the field with incentives financed on the backs of other people.
I'm all for any technology that succeeds on its own merit, but Musk's
Tesla would have been long defunct if not for the lavish amounts of free
money it gets.
Gotta love the bs from you denialists, you all act like a push to make the auto makers have better mpg is a violation of freedom then you act like a subsidy is a violation to the law of supply and demand.

Get over it, and do try to not modify history as national interests always interfere with free markets.

The kicker is idiots like you dont have a real interest in anything except protecting your future projected profits.
R Kym Horsell
2018-09-10 12:59:49 UTC
Post by columbiaaccidentinvestigation
Post by Chom Noamsky
I'm all for any technology that succeeds on its own merit, but Musk's
Tesla would have been long defunct if not for the lavish amounts of free
money it gets.
Gotta love the bs from you denialists, you all act like a push to make the auto makers have better mpg is a violation of freedom then you act like a subsidy is a violation to the law of supply and demand.

I thought chumpsky was talking down government buyouts of uneconomic
goop pipelines...
--
Air France KLM SA
EPA: AF - 10 Sep., 1:01 pm GMT+2

Gazprom PAO
MCX: GAZP - 10 Sep., 2:00 pm GMT+3
148.81 RUB +0.0100 (0.0067%) even

Royal Dutch Shell Plc Class A
ETR: R6C - 10 Sep., 12:42 pm GMT+2
27.30 EUR -0.015 (0.055%) even

BHP Billiton Limited
ASX: BHP - 10 Sep., 4:10 pm AEST
31.20 AUD -0.100 (0.32%) down

Comment: As New York and London mayors, we call on all cities to
divest from fossil fuels
"Together, the world's urban centres can send a message to the fossil
fuel industry," write Bill de Blasio and Sadiq Khan, the mayors of New
York and London, in a comment for the Guardian. They write: "Ahead of
the Global Climate Action Summit in California [this week], we are
calling on other cities to stand with us to divest their assets from
fossil fuel companies. Today we are announcing a new global initiative
for cities on divestment and sustainable investment#We believe we can
demonstrate to the world that divestment is a powerful tool and a
prudent use of resources." -- Bill de Blasio and Sadiq Khan, The Guardian

Spatial and temporal changes in the frequency and magnitude of intense
precipitation events in the southeastern United States
The number and intensity of extreme rainfall events have increased
every year from 1950-2016 in the southeastern US, a new study
finds. Using high-resolution modelling, the researchers show that, out
of all the seasons, the autumn has seen the largest increases in
rainfall events across the study period. In addition, inland regions
have seen larger rainfall increases than coastal areas, the authors
add. -- International Journal of Climatology

New Antarctica Map Is Like `Putting on Glasses for the First Time
and Seeing 20/20'
Shannon Stirone, New York Times

First shale gas sold with `responsible' branding
Ed Crooks, Financial Times

While Trump rejects science, Obama and Clinton warn of climate
change's urgent danger
Greta Moran, Grist

EU lawmakers set to back 45 percent cut target for CO2 from cars and
vans by 2030
Alissa de Carbonnel, Reuters

Wind farm opposed by Donald Trump opens off Aberdeen coast
Press Association via Belfast Telegraph

France, Germany vow to develop carbon pricing policies for
all sectors
Carbon Pulse

UK: Electric vehicles already able to cut greenhouse gas emissions
by half
Josh Gabbatiss, The Independent

Staff layoffs leave Cumbria nuclear plans on the brink
Emily Gosden, The Times

UK shale gas: Cuadrilla spends all Centrica's funds
Emily Gosden, The Times

Decommissioning: The last storm is building for oil and the
North Sea
Emily Gosden, The Times

Feature: 'Shell is ready for the energy shocks to come'
Ben Marlow, The Telegraph

Scotland: Petrol and diesel cars to be forced off roads in 20
'electric towns'
Scottish Mail on Sunday

US energy chief to meet Russian, Saudi counterparts ahead of Iran
sanctions
Timothy Gardner and Maria Kiselyova, Reuters

Risk management firm DNV GL sees oil demand peaking in 2023
Nerijus Adomaitis, Reuters

Westpac employee gave customer passwords to mortgage broker in serious
data breach
ABC/7.30, 10 Sep 2018 08:02Z
Documents obtained under FOI reveal a catalogue of breaches by the big four
banks, including an employee revealing the address of someone they were in a
Facebook dispute with, another accessing the accounts of people who appear
to be public figures, and one accessing the records of a former spouse.

Six new solar, wind farms to be built in Victoria
ABC News, 10 Sep 2018 09:01Z
New solar and wind farms will be built near Warrnambool, Geelong, Mildura,
Echuca, Mortlake and Shepparton, generating enough energy to power 640,000
homes as part of the Victorian Government renewable energy target.

[How To Win A Trade War:]
China trade surplus narrows, but not with the U.S.
MarketWatch, 10 Sep 2018 1:02 a.m. ET
Beijing. China's total trade surplus narrowed in August despite a
worsening imbalance with the U.S., as the country faced the threat of
more tariffs from the Trump administration.
China reported a total trade surplus of $27.91 billion in August,
narrowing from a surplus of $28.05 billion a month earlier, customs
data showed. Economists polled by The Wall Street Journal had expected
a $30.6 billion surplus.
Exports rose 9.8% from a year earlier, following July's 12.2% increase,
the General Administration of Customs said Saturday. Economists had
forecast an 11% growth in overseas shipments.
Imports were up 20% in August from a year earlier, slowing from a 27.3%
increase the previous month and matching economists' median forecast.
China's trade surplus with the U.S., however, widened to $31.05 billion
in August from $28.09 billion in July, according to calculations by The
Wall Street Journal based on customs data.

Aussie dollar the 'standout loser', drops below 71 US cents
ABC News, 09 Sep 2018 22:50Z
The Australian dollar is at a two-and-a-half-year low, having briefly dipped
below 71 US cents on a rising greenback and US-China trade concerns.
Unum
Or the massive subsidies of ICE vehicles for at least 100 years.
columbiaaccidentinvestigation
2018-09-10 17:17:01 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
I'm all for any technology that succeeds on its own merit, but Musk's
Tesla would have been long defunct if not for the lavish amounts of free
money it gets.
Gotta love the bs from you denialists, you all act like a push to make the auto makers have better mpg is a violation of freedom then you act like a subsidy is a violation to the law of supply and demand.
I thought chumpsky was talking down government buyouts of uneconomic
goop pipelines...
Are you saying there is no difference between government support for tar goop vs EV's? Because it would seem that chom has this double standard for market intervention, and forcing a product on consumers making the decision. The amount of energy and cost to make tar goop market ready is another indicator of fossil fuel issues, along with byproducts of combustion having an impact on the climate.

As more and more renewables are fused into the grid, clean energy production will power more and more EV's. Freedom from targoop.
Bret Cahill
2018-09-10 15:51:30 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Bret Cahill
Freedom from tar goop is just the beginning.
Not sure what Musk is about, but forcing people into EVs is anything but
freedom. Competitive markets offer an array of product on a level
playing field and let the consumer decide.
Milton "Free to Choose" Friedman supported geo taxation just like Musk -- a Randroidian character if there ever was one.

Carbon taxation helps free the bio sphere from tar goop.
Chom Noamsky
2018-09-10 15:59:46 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Bret Cahill
Freedom from tar goop is just the beginning.
Not sure what Musk is about, but forcing people into EVs is anything but
freedom. Competitive markets offer an array of product on a level
playing field and let the consumer decide.
Milton "Free to Choose" Friedman supported geo taxation just like Musk -- a Randroidian character if there ever was one.
Carbon taxation helps free the bio sphere from tar goop.
Carbon taxes are proof positive of competitive inferiority.

Dat cuz competitive technologies don't need a penalty on the competition.
$27 TRILLION to PAY for KYOTO
2018-09-10 16:21:24 UTC
He'll be out as head of TESLA very shortly now. He's insane.
JTEM is right
2018-09-10 17:21:56 UTC
"...that this nation, under the 1%, shall have a
new birth of freedom & subsidies—and that government
of the billionaires, by the billionaires, for the
billionaires shall not perish from the earth."
--Elon Musk