the melting permafrost
Add Reply
M***@kymhorsell.com
2017-07-15 03:00:03 UTC
Remember: When a science columnist says something is possible they may
be right. If they say something is impossible they are most likely
wrong.

<https://www.businessinsider.com.au/effects-of-melting-permafrost-ancient-viruses-carbon-2017-7>

A frozen chunk of land that scientists thought would never thaw is
melting -- and the effects could be catastrophic

Lydia Ramsey, Erin Brodwin
Jul 13, 2017, 3:12 AM

There seems to be an ever-growing list of ominous consequences of
melting ice - especially when it's the kind scientists expected would
remain frozen forever.

"Until recently, permafrost was not a major concern of climate
scientists, because, as the name suggests, it was soil that stayed
permanently frozen," New York Magazine's David Wallace-Wells wrote in
a recent piece about climate change.

Permafrost is a combination of ice, soil, plants, and other materials
that stays frozen all year round, even as layers on the very top thaw
out seasonally. The United States Geological Survey compared it to a
"sponge" that soaks up carbon and nutrients.

But by the middle of this century, scientists project that the area of
permafrost in the Northern Hemisphere will decrease between 20-35%.

The most obvious challenge of melting permafrost is flooding, which
poses a threat to sea levels as well as facilities in the Arctic
circle like the "doomsday" vault, which stores seeds for every known
crop on the planet. Melted ice water recently flooded the vault, but
ultimately the water was kept away from the seeds.

But melting permafrost can also lead to unanticipated effects that
humans haven't had to worry about for 1000s of years.

"Arctic permafrost contains 1.8 tr tons of carbon, more than
twice as much as is currently suspended in the Earth's atmosphere,"
Wallace-Wells wrote.

As the permafrost in the Arctic melts, it could release that carbon
dioxide, along with methane, an even more potent gas that traps in 30
times as much heat as carbon dioxide. Such a release could influence
the global climate, researchers concluded in 2014.

Even more daunting, scientists working in the Arctic circle in recent
decades have unearthed several massive viruses that some say could be
re-awakened if the permafrost that imprisons them dissolves.

Some researchers have suggested that these enormous viruses could thaw
out, escape, and make lots of people sick. There's even a possibility
that some infections that were a problem in Siberia around the 18th
and 19th centuries could make a comeback as well.

It sounds like something out of a horror film, but you shouldn't get
too concerned - at least not yet.

What thawed-out viruses could mean for humans

In 2015, researchers in Siberia uncovered the Mollivirus sibericum, a
30,000-year-old behemoth of a virus that succeeded in infecting a
rather defenseless amoeba in a lab experiment. About a decade earlier,
scientists discovered the first Mimivirus, a 1,200-gene specimen
measuring twice the width of traditional viruses, buried beneath
layers of melting frost in the Russian tundra. (For comparison, HIV
has just 9 genes.)

The likelihood that these viruses will break free and sicken humans is
slim, according to New York Times science columnist Carl Zimmer, whose
recent book, "A Planet of Viruses," digs into what we know about
viruses and the diseases they cause.

"These particular viruses infect amoeba. So if you're an amoeba, yeah
you should be really scared," Zimmer told Business Insider in a 2015
interview. "There are no human pathogens that have burst out of the
Siberian permafrost. That's not to say that viruses won't emerge, but
there are so many viruses circulating in living animals, I think we
should put these frozen viruses very low on our list of concerns."

[Noticed an unofficial poll related to #SeaLevel2017 found the majority now
expected 1-2m of SLR by 2100].
IP Urban Resilience @IP_URP 14 Jul 2017 17:02Z
"If global temperature rises unchecked, New Orleans will not see another 300
years" http://ow.ly/E6bN30dDeqc
[SLR chart:]

The new GOP health-care bill isn't better or worse. It's just more incoherent.
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 15:16Z

Ohio county fair hogs to be destroyed after swine flu found
ABC News, 14 Jul 2017 13:20Z

The New York Times @nytimes 12 Jul 2017 12:30am
Scientists looked at animal populations and found that nearly a third are in
decline, a sign of mass extinction
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/884888923713015809/meXs1TC9?format=jpg&name=600x314>
2095 retweets 1528 likes

Former Soviet military officer says he attended Trump Jr meeting
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017
A former Soviet counterintelligence officer says he attended a June 2016
meeting with US President Donald Trump's son, marking another shift in the
account of a discussion that was billed as part of a Russian Government
effort to help the Republican's White House campaign.

Metro's $80m back-up system may have failed at moment Melbourne needed it
The Age, 14 Jul 2017 08:11Z

Andy Skuce @andyskuce 14 Jul 2017 18:17Z
Just 6% chance of a record for 2017; 64% chance of second place; 30% chance
of third.

climatehawk1 @climatehawk1 14 Jul 2017 18:18Z
#Climate fact: The international panel on climate (IPCC) is cautious, not
alarmist, w/ its predictions. http://crwd.fr/2tmHPXW
[10 indicators of GW:]

Extreme Weather Wiping Out Hard-Won GDP Gains in the ...
Caribbean360.com, 14 Jul 2017 19:06Z

Homeland Security confirms special entry for Russian lawyer
The Hill, 14 Jul 2017 22:05Z

Severe Storms Topple Trees, Fill Sky With Lightning
NBC4 Washington, 14 Jul 2017 23:29Z

Trump set to bring in new attorney to manage response to Russia investigation
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 23:35Z

Zeke Hausfather @hausfath 14 Jul 2017 23:39Z
The folks at Snopes fact checked recent claims that adjustments to the data
greatly increase warming:
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/885977749155741696/vwbP1esh?format=jpg&name=600x314>

Saibai islanders celebrate new seawall to fight rising ocean levels
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017 00:03Z
People on the Torres Strait's largest island of Saibai celebrate a long-
awaited seawall after more than a decade of pleading, but the future is less
certain for other sinking island communities.
JTEM is super wealthy!
2017-07-15 03:33:16 UTC
Permafrost is destroyed by human encroachment,
just like every other unspoiled area of the
earth.

Remember all the talk about the vanishing rain
forests? Again, NOT global warming but human
industry -- humans encroaching upon the wild.

But, what is the alternative?

What are you advocating?

You don't want the earth to get warmer. In fact,
you give every indication of bed wetting over
the thought of a warmer earth. So, what are you
advocating?

Stagnation? The climate remains fixed at some
as as yet undetermined point experienced in the
past?

That can't happen. We don't know how to change
the climate like that. And it would be "Climate
Change." The climate is unstable, it's been in
a constant state of change for millions of years
so fixing temperatures at some arbitrary figure
is never going to happen.

It either gets warmer or colder. We're inside of
an ice age with millions of years to go before
it ends -- if not tens of millions of years. The
climate is teetering between lengthy glaciations
and very brief warmer periods called "Interglacial."

We are inside of an interglacial right now.

At present, temperatures are below peak for this
interglacial, while this interglacial on the whole
is cooler than previous interglacials.

So, the climate is set to get colder. a lot colder.
And drier. And the only alternative is to artificially
end the ice age which means warming the planet. Ending
the ice age means bringing about everything the global
warming hysterics is saying we don't want.

You want billions to die in a glacial apocalypse
which will literally bulldoze away most of western
civilization? It's already overdue to start. So, do
you want it?

If not, "Global Warming."

Far from fearing it, if our government isn't backing
it we need a revolution. We need to overthrow our
government and replace it with people who have not
chosen genocide.

AlleyCat