what you know about solar is out of date
R Kym Horsell
2016-05-13 01:35:11 UTC
<http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/05/12/3776728/climate-change-solutions/>

We Can Stop Searching For The Clean Energy Miracle. It's Already Here.

Joe Romm
May 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Key climate solutions have been advancing considerably faster than
anyone expected just a few years ago thanks to aggressive market-based
deployment efforts around the globe. These solutions include such core
enabling technologies for a low-carbon world as solar, wind,
efficiency, electric cars, and battery storage.

That's a key reason almost everything you know about climate change
solutions is probably outdated. In Part 1 of this series, I discussed
other reasons. For instance, climate science and climate politics have
moved unexpectedly quickly toward a broad understanding that we need
to keep total human-caused global warming as far as possible below 2?C
(3.6?F) - and ideally to no more than 1.5?C. But the media and
commentariat generally have not kept up with the science or solutions
and their utterly game-changing implications.

This post will focus on the light-speed changes in clean energy
technology that have left even the most informed journalists and
experts behind, which in turn means the public and policy-makers are
receiving outdated information.

The Clean Energy Miracle Is Already Here

Consider solar power. In recent days, both the Council on Foreign
Affairs and the New York Times have published claims that were
literally out-of-date the instant they were put on the internet.

Last week, Varun Sivaram, a smart young physicist who has worked on
advanced solar, wrote this on the Council on Foreign Relations'
"Energy, Security, and Climate" blog:

Indeed, just this week, a Saudi-backed consortium placed an
astonishingly low bid to build a solar farm in Dubai for only 3?/kWh,
half the local price of power from natural gas. Existing technologies
may surprise us, as Dr. Romm suggests, especially if this bid turns
into a contract and Dubai's prices can be replicated elsewhere in the
world. (I am skeptical, though, of the latter possibility).

This was part of a response to my critique of a piece Sivaram
coauthored for Foreign Affairs last month. That piece had argued,
"trying to create a zero-carbon power grid with only existing
technologies would be expensive, complicated, and unpopular." I argued
that, as vital as R&D is, we don't need breakthrough energy miracles
to create a zero-carbon grid.

I argued, to use Sivaram's words, "Existing clean energy technologies
have fallen in cost and will continue to do so as a function of their
deployment, which implies that they are sufficient to achieve
ambitious climate goals." (Though I wouldn't have used the word
"sufficient" but would have reiterated that we're talking about the
existing technologies simply getting steadily better over the next two
decades much as they have in the last two.)

The premiere New York Times blogger on climate change, Andy Revkin,
then posted Sivaram's response in its entirety on NYTimes.com. Here's
the thing, though: As highly informed as Revkin and Sivaram are, what
they published was instantly out of date.

The Dubai price for solar had already been replicated elsewhere in the
world - and in fact it has also been replicated elsewhere for wind!
Here is the key chart from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF)
Chairman Michael Liebreich, one of the world's leading experts on the
state of emerging clean energy.

<http://cdn.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/11133023/
BNEFsolarwind2016-740x434.jpg>

Last month, Liebreich devoted his entire keynote address at BNEF's
annual conference to debunking the energy miracle myth that Bill Gates
has popularized. Indeed his data- and chart-filled analysis -
pointedly titled "In Search of the Miraculous" - explained in great
detail how the energy miracle is already here: solar and wind and LED
lighting and electric cars and advanced batteries and smart grids!

One of Liebreich's themes is what he calls "The March of the Price
Signal" - the rapid expansion of global deployment programs,
especially market-based mechanisms such as renewable portfolio
standards and reverse auctions. The March of the Price Signal has led
to astounding sustained price drops characteristic of experience or
learning curves:

<http://cdn.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/11140540/
BNEFsolarWind2016b-740x424.jpg>

So I think it's pretty clear that, yes, "Existing clean energy
technologies have fallen in cost and will continue to do so as a
function of their deployment." Indeed, the International Energy Agency
wrote a whole report making that exact point back in the year 2000,
titled, "Experience Curves for Energy Technology Policy." I'll discuss
that must-read report in more detail in a later post, but its main
conclusion is always worth repeating:

For major technologies such as photovoltaics, wind power, biomass, or
heat pumps, resources provided through the market dominate the
learning investments. Government deployment programmes may still be
needed to stimulate these investments.

In other words, if you want to keep improving the cost and performance
of the key low carbon technologies, the marketplace is going to
provide the dominant amount of those funds. The best way government
can accelerate the process is through deployment programs.

I do understand why so many people think existing technology can't get
us to a carbon-free future and that we we need multiple energy
breakthroughs or energy miracles. Breakthroughs are sexy and get a lot
of attention, whereas deployment efforts are not and do not.

The mainstream media generally has a bias towards bad news - if it
bleeds it ledes, goes the saying. You have to wait an awfully long
time on the evening news - or indeed most news shows and media outlets
- to see "good news." As a result, they rarely cover the solar energy
"miracle" or the wind energy "miracle" because they think they already
did that story years ago.

Almost everybody is behind the curve - literally. The U.S. Energy
Information Agency (EIA) consistently underestimates renewables growth
in its projections.

Solar and wind have been continuously outperforming expectations for
so long that even the International Energy Agency (IEA) - a world
leader in analyzing clean energy trends - itself keeps underestimating
what's about to happen year after year, as BNEF chair Liebreich
explained in his keynote:

<http://cdn.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/11163245/
BNEFsolarWind2016c-740x427.jpg>

"This trend gets underestimated persistently. The IEA forecasts for
wind and solar over years have gone up and up and up," Liebreich
said. "In the case of wind, five times - five-fold increase. In the
case of solar, fourteen-fold increase since the year 2000."

Also, while Sivaram and Revkin imply that only solar energy might
vindicate my assertion about how the unexpectedly rapid
deployment-driven advances in clean tech are game-changing for clean
energy policy, in fact it's clear from BNEF and others that this is
true across the board. As but one example, the charts above clearly
show the impact they've had on wind power. The Electric Car And
Battery Revolution

But it may be the arena of electric batteries and electric vehicles
(EVs) where deployment-driven advances have overturned basic
assumptions most people had just a few years ago. As I've noted
before, in 2013, the IEA estimated EVs would achieve cost parity with
gasoline vehicles when battery costs hit $300 per kWh of storage
capacity, which the IEA said would happen by 2020. Then, last spring,
a detailed analysis in Nature concluded that as of the end of 2014,
"the cost of battery packs used by market-leading BEV manufacturers
are even lower, at US$300 per kWh."

BNEF's Liebreich makes a similar point in his talk, what he calls "The
Miracle Of Musk." That's a reference to the CEO of Tesla, a company
that almost single-handedly turned around the moribund EV business,
and whose Gigafactory promises to continue providing downward pressure
on EV prices. Liebreich says that, starting from just 2010, "The price
of batteries is coming down 77 percent by the time the Gigafactory and
other battery manufacturers scale up in 2018."

<http://cdn.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/12114036/
BNEFbatteries2016full-740x420.jpg>

Here's the topper: The EV battery market appears to be moving so fast
that even BNEF - which is at the cutting edge of collecting and
analyzing clean tech market data - itself appears to be
underestimating what's happening.

GM revealed last fall that the battery cell it is getting from the
South Korean company LG Chem for its forthcoming all-electric Chevy
Bolt will cost just $145 per kWh! This astounding price allows GM to
offer its 200+ mile range EV later this year for a sticker price of
$37,500 - before any state or federal tax credits are applied.

And GM says it expects that price will continue to drop, as it made
clear in this chart:

<http://cdn.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/11102001/bolt-
battery-cost-lg-chem.jpg>

CREDIT: GM

The 2015 Nature study had concluded, "If costs reach as low as $150
per kilowatt hour this means that electric vehicles will probably move
beyond niche applications and begin to penetrate the market more
widely, leading to a potential paradigm shift in vehicle technology."

The paradigm shift is here. One early sign is Tesla's Model 3 -
another affordable 200+ mile range EV (due in 18 months) - which had
record-setting presales in its first weekend of $12 billion. Another
sign is that Europe and China are placing enormous bets on both
batteries and EVs, leading to exponential sales growth in those
markets:

<http://cdn.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/06132433/EVsales2015
-638x323.jpg>

Global EV sales, 2011-2015 (Source: energy.gov via insideevs.com).

This EV and battery revolution is happening in real-time - so it's not
surprising that its implications have hardly been discussed in the
mainstream media. This revolution is directly a game-changer for the
speed of plausible CO2 reductions in the transportation sector. And it
is directly a game-changer for the speed with which the grid can
incorporate renewables and go carbon-free (without any need for
breakthroughs or miracles) because:

EVs can directly be used as a way of managing demand response and
variability of solar and wind during the 90 percent plus of the time
they aren't being driven. The plummeting price of EV batteries means
a plummeting price of batteries needed for electricity storage, as
Musk has already shown with his Powerwall residential battery. The
surge in EVs means a surge in used or "second-life" batteries for
electricity storage at truly disruptive prices, as I discussed here.

Again, that's the thing about existing technology - it can surprise
you a lot faster than non-existing technology can. And time is of the
essence for all who agree we must work as hard as possible to keep
total global warming "to well below 2?C [3.6?F] above preindustrial
levels," a goal the major nations of the world unanimously adopted in
December.

I remain as strong an advocate for increased funding of clean energy
R&D as I have been for the past 25 years. But to avoid calamity, more
aggressive deployment programs remain the sine qua non of climate
policy.

--
UK weather: Britain's intense 26C heatwave is history as this weekend will see snow with freezing -2C temperatures
Mirror.co.uk, 12 May 2016 11:29Z

Ceres Conferees Sing New Tune on Oil, Climate
Yale Climate Connections, 12 May 2016 11:30Z
Insiders regularly in contact with major fossil fuel companies said many
corporations are reluctant to publicly acknowledge the "stranded asset"
realities - even if they are planning for such scenarios behind closed
boardroom doors. They fear such talk ...

Woking floods: Residents left homeless by devastating downpours
Get Surrey, 12 May 2016 16:28Z
Flood hit residents in Sheerwater and West Byfleet have been made homeless
after filthy water surged into their homes yesterday (May 11).

Swarm Intelligence Picks Kentucky Derby Superfecta
Discovery News, 12 May 2016 16:33Z
The results are in! Two heads are better than one and 20 heads can win big
bets and make millions. A software program called UNU harnessed the
collective power of horse racing experts to correctly predict which four
horses would cross the finish line ...

After record-breaking hurricane season, 2016 expected to be tamer
Hawaii News Now, 12 May 2016 17:32Z
After a record-breaking 2015 hurricane season brought 15 tropical cyclones
close to the Hawaiian islands, a national weather expert says the 2016
hurricane season won't be nearly as wild. Jeff Masters, co-founder of
Weather Underground, told Bloomberg ...

Methane Pollution Addressed With First-Ever EPA Rules
Newsweek, 12 May 2016 17:35Z
[Image] A fracking rig flares gas in London on February 9. The Environmental
Protection Agency has released federal rules aimed at curbing methane, the
main component of natural gas.
In Depth:EPA Issues Final Rules Cutting Oil, Natural Gas Methane Emissions
-- WSJ

Emissions estimates
We expect that the GFED estimate for the 2015 fires will be about 1.75
bn metric ton of CO2 equivalents, with substantial uncertainty.
Conversion of active fires to emissions
This graph shows how we derive the 2015 estimates. The grey dots indicate
the total annual active fire observations in Indonesia on the horizontal
axis and the corresponding GFED estimates are on the vertical axis with the
years 2006 and 2014 labeled. Each grey dot represents one year between 2003
and 2014. The relation is not perfect and adds some uncertainty to those
that are in these estimates already. The non-linearity is probably related
to smoke obscuration of active fires in high fire years.
m***@yahoo.com
2016-05-13 13:40:25 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
So I think it's pretty clear that, yes, "Existing clean energy
technologies have fallen in cost and will continue to do so as a
function of their deployment."
So i want to put an EV solar panel on my house.

I want a panel that will prouce about 1 kW for about 5 hours a day ie 5 kWhours.
That is a modest installation.

That can save me about US$1 per day or about US$365 per year in electricity costs. I would feel good about this if it didn't cost too much for the install.

How much will it cost for such an installation?
Paul Aubrin
2016-05-13 20:32:37 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Post by R Kym Horsell
So I think it's pretty clear that, yes, "Existing clean energy
technologies have fallen in cost and will continue to do so as a
function of their deployment."
So i want to put an EV solar panel on my house.
I want a panel that will prouce about 1 kW for about 5 hours a day ie 5 kWhours.
That is a modest installation.
That can save me about US$1 per day or about US$365 per year in
electricity costs. I would feel good about this if it didn't cost too
much for the install.
How much will it cost for such an installation?
Kym provides and install for free, just ask him. He will be glad to help
save the planet.
Unum
http://www.solarcity.com/residential/affordable-solar-lease
Wally W.
2016-05-16 01:36:43 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Post by R Kym Horsell
So I think it's pretty clear that, yes, "Existing clean energy
technologies have fallen in cost and will continue to do so as a
function of their deployment."
So i want to put an EV solar panel on my house.
I want a panel that will prouce about 1 kW for about 5 hours a day ie 5 kWhours.
That is a modest installation.
That can save me about US$1 per day or about US$365 per year in electricity costs. I would feel good about this if it didn't cost too much for the install.
How much will it cost for such an installation?
http://www.solarcity.com/residential/affordable-solar-lease
Perhaps you missed the news:
<http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/10/solarcity-is-in-a-first-class-crisis-jim-cramer-says.html>
SolarCity posted an adjusted first-quarter loss of $2.56 per share on
Monday, while analysts polled by Reuters expected a loss of $2.32 per
share.

And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
Unum
2016-05-16 04:18:01 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Post by R Kym Horsell
So I think it's pretty clear that, yes, "Existing clean energy
technologies have fallen in cost and will continue to do so as a
function of their deployment."
So i want to put an EV solar panel on my house.
I want a panel that will prouce about 1 kW for about 5 hours a day ie 5 kWhours.
That is a modest installation.
That can save me about US$1 per day or about US$365 per year in electricity costs. I would feel good about this if it didn't cost too much for the install.
How much will it cost for such an installation?
http://www.solarcity.com/residential/affordable-solar-lease
<http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/10/solarcity-is-in-a-first-class-crisis-jim-cramer-says.html>
SolarCity posted an adjusted first-quarter loss of $2.56 per share on
Monday, while analysts polled by Reuters expected a loss of $2.32 per
share.
How much does woolly think it would cost for the installation? Couldn't
follow the thread topic?
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?

https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee

One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
Wally W.
2016-05-16 12:10:03 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Post by R Kym Horsell
[...]
... less if the installer thinks their company won't be around to
honor a warranty.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Post by Unum
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
... wouldn't be a problem if greenies weren't trying to put oil and
gas firms out of business.
Paul Aubrin
2016-05-16 12:53:45 UTC
Post by Unum
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5
trillion of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
... wouldn't be a problem if greenies weren't trying to put oil and gas
firms out of business.
They attempted to do that but had not a great success.
Saudi Arabia is putting coal and gas out of the market.
Unum
2016-05-16 23:47:33 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Post by R Kym Horsell
[...]
I think Elon Musk and his companies will definitely be around. woolly doesn't
have a clue as to how much it would cost for the installation.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
Wally W.
2016-05-17 00:59:47 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
Worse for whom?

In what way(s)?

Are you taking "context" lessons from Bret?

Cue Kymmie to say something in his strange language.
Unum
2016-05-17 01:29:08 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
Worse for whom?
Can't answer even the simplest question?
Post by Wally W.
Wally W.
2016-05-17 02:12:49 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
Worse for whom?
Can't answer even the simplest question?
Can't provide *any* context?
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Unum
2016-05-17 03:15:42 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
Worse for whom?
Can't answer even the simplest question?
Can't provide *any* context?
Its a few lines up, wooly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Wally W.
2016-05-17 11:14:58 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
Worse for whom?
Can't answer even the simplest question?
Can't provide *any* context?
Its a few lines up, wooly.
What "it?"

Context for whether it is worse that oil companies have liabilities
(of lower magnitude than their assets) or that SolarCity was farther
in the red than expected?

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:28:56 -0500, Unum wrote:
:>No cite means he is lying.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Unum
2016-05-17 23:08:04 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
Worse for whom?
Can't answer even the simplest question?
Can't provide *any* context?
Its a few lines up, wooly.
What "it?"
Context for whether it is worse that oil companies have liabilities
(of lower magnitude than their assets) or that SolarCity was farther
in the red than expected?
Oil companies have liabilities of lower magnitude than their assets?

No cite means woolly is lying as usual. Meanwhile;

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/11/investing/oil-prices-bankruptcies-spike/

At least 67 U.S. oil and natural gas companies filed for bankruptcy in 2015,
according to consulting firm Gavin/Solmonese.

That represents a 379% spike from the previous year when oil prices were
substantially higher.

With oil prices crashing further in recent weeks, five more energy gas
producers succumbed to bankruptcy in the first five weeks of this year,
according to Houston law firm Haynes and Boone.
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Wally W.
2016-05-18 02:06:30 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
And all the climastrologists said: It's worse than we thought.
As in its all over for dirty energy?
As in a $2.56 loss is worse than a $2.32 loss.
Is it worse than $2.5 trillion in debt?
Worse for whom?
Can't answer even the simplest question?
Can't provide *any* context?
Its a few lines up, wooly.
What "it?"
Context for whether it is worse that oil companies have liabilities
(of lower magnitude than their assets) or that SolarCity was farther
in the red than expected?
Oil companies have liabilities of lower magnitude than their assets?
Yes. They have a positive net worth. They aren't bankrupt.

Does that surprise you?
Post by Unum
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
Lying about what?
Post by Unum
Meanwhile;
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/11/investing/oil-prices-bankruptcies-spike/
At least 67 U.S. oil and natural gas companies filed for bankruptcy in 2015,
according to consulting firm Gavin/Solmonese.
Cherry pick much?

How many Texans went into insane (jack)assylums in 2015?

Shall we paint you with that brush?
Post by Unum
That represents a 379% spike from the previous year when oil prices were
substantially higher.
With oil prices crashing further in recent weeks,
Have you been to a gas pump recently?

Is the price higher than it was a month ago?
Post by Unum
five more energy gas
producers succumbed to bankruptcy in the first five weeks of this year,
according to Houston law firm Haynes and Boone.
More cherry picking.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Unum
2016-05-18 04:28:35 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
Lying about what?
Look a few lines up.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Meanwhile;
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/11/investing/oil-prices-bankruptcies-spike/
At least 67 U.S. oil and natural gas companies filed for bankruptcy in 2015,
according to consulting firm Gavin/Solmonese.
Cherry pick much?
Do they have a positive net worth? They aren't bankrupt?
Post by Wally W.
How many Texans went into insane (jack)assylums in 2015?
Shall we paint you with that brush?
woolly has a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Unum
five more energy gas
producers succumbed to bankruptcy in the first five weeks of this year,
according to Houston law firm Haynes and Boone.
More cherry picking.
woolly claimed that oil companies have liabilities of lower magnitude
than their assets.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Wally W.
2016-05-18 12:07:36 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
five more energy gas
producers succumbed to bankruptcy in the first five weeks of this year,
according to Houston law firm Haynes and Boone.
More cherry picking.
woolly claimed that oil companies have liabilities of lower magnitude
than their assets.
Most do.

What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?

What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?

How many of each do so spectacularly?
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
... wouldn't be a problem if greenies weren't trying to put oil and
gas firms out of business.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
Which means it is somewhere in the top half of all the listed risks.

So are sadists who delight in scaring people with FUD.
Unum
2016-05-19 02:25:32 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
... wouldn't be a problem if greenies weren't trying to put oil and
gas firms out of business.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
Which means it is somewhere in the top half of all the listed risks.
Do you know of any other $2.5 trillion risks?
Post by Wally W.
So are sadists who delight in scaring people with FUD.
Hard facts are not FUD.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Banks-On-The-Hook-For-Bad-Energy-Loans.html

Total secured and unsecured energy sector debt moved into bankruptcy stood at
a whopping $13.1 billion. According to Standard and Poor’s Rating Services,
50 percent of these oil and gas debts are considered distressed. With oil
prices expected to remain low, the numbers could get much worse before they
get better.
Wally W.
2016-05-19 02:38:41 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
... wouldn't be a problem if greenies weren't trying to put oil and
gas firms out of business.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
No cite means woolly is lying as usual.
https://espresso.economist.com/d57f6fdeba3bbec9c0f2527d55d5f2ee
One of the biggest risks to the world’s financial system is the $2.5 trillion
of debt owed by oil and gas firms.
Which means it is somewhere in the top half of all the listed risks.
Do you know of any other $2.5 trillion risks?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/18/chinas-communist-party-goes-way-of-qing-dynasty-as-debt-hits-lim/
China's debt is approaching $30 trillion.

Why did you ask?
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
So are sadists who delight in scaring people with FUD.
Hard facts are not FUD.
But sadists are still sadists.
https://www.quora.com/Who-created-more-debt-–-Bush-or-Obama
Obama, 1 term - $5.3 trillion
Unum
2016-05-19 04:06:09 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
[...]
Lol, depends on who the "authoritative person" in Beijing turns out to be.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
So are sadists who delight in scaring people with FUD.
Hard facts are not FUD.
But sadists are still sadists.
Fruitcakes on the internet think everything is rosy in the oil patch.
Woolly now cites a quora discussion as fact, hilarious!
Wally W.
2016-05-19 12:02:12 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Lack of refutation noted.
Unum
2016-05-20 04:19:05 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Where was the fact?
Wally W.
2016-05-20 12:06:22 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Banks-On-The-Hook-For-Bad-Energy-Loans.html
Total secured and unsecured energy sector debt moved into bankruptcy stood at
a whopping $13.1 billion. According to Standard and Poor’s Rating Services,
50 percent of these oil and gas debts are considered distressed. With oil
prices expected to remain low, the numbers could get much worse before they
get better.
https://www.quora.com/Who-created-more-debt-–-Bush-or-Obama
Obama, 1 term - $5.3 trillion
Woolly now cites a quora discussion as fact, hilarious!
Lack of refutation noted.
Where was the fact?
Try this before embarrassing yourself again:
https://www.hookedonphonics.com/
Unum
2016-05-20 18:00:48 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
woolly couldn't identify the fact.
Wally W.
2016-05-21 01:47:56 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
What fraction of oil companies go bankrupt?
What fraction of PV producers go bankrupt?
How many of each do so spectacularly?
All woolly has is a big fat yap and no facts.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
:>No cite means he is lying.
Its a few lines up, woolly.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Unum
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Banks-On-The-Hook-For-Bad-Energy-Loans.html
Total secured and unsecured energy sector debt moved into bankruptcy stood at
a whopping $13.1 billion. According to Standard and Poor’s Rating Services,
50 percent of these oil and gas debts are considered distressed. With oil
prices expected to remain low, the numbers could get much worse before they
get better.
https://www.quora.com/Who-created-more-debt-–-Bush-or-Obama
Obama, 1 term - $5.3 trillion
Woolly now cites a quora discussion as fact, hilarious!
Lack of refutation noted.
Where was the fact?
woolly couldn't identify the fact.
We'll just assume it was you couldn't refute.

Tunderbar
2016-05-13 21:09:08 UTC
<http://www.globalfiredata.org/_plots/updates/conversion.png>
This graph shows how we derive the 2015 estimates. The grey dots indicate
the total annual active fire observations in Indonesia on the horizontal
axis and the corresponding GFED estimates are on the vertical axis with the
years 2006 and 2014 labeled. Each grey dot represents one year between 2003
and 2014. The relation is not perfect and adds some uncertainty to those
that are in these estimates already. The non-linearity is probably related
to smoke obscuration of active fires in high fire years.
Bullshit.