when did the sixth mass extinction start?
M***@kymhorsell.com
2017-07-14 20:30:03 UTC
<https://www.researchgate.net/post/When_did_the_sixth_mass_extinction_start>

When did the sixth mass extinction start?
Working on biodiversity lost, I would like to have more details about
this sixth mass extinction. I read about the 5th mass extinction about
11 000 years ago in North America. I also read Ceballos et al., 2010 ;
Blaustein et al., 2011 ; Chapin et al., 2000 ; Barnosky et al., 2011
Wake et al., 2008, but I cannot find the start of this mass
extinction.

* I would like to suggest the reading of the book The Sixth
Extinction. Patterns of Life and the Future of Humankind (authors:
R. Leakey and R. Lewin). The start point seems to be the Neolithic
Revolution, but wild-life extinctions occurred in pre-Neolithic human
groups (from a cultural development point of view) worldwide,
especially in islands.

* Scientists are divided when it comes to determining if the sixth
mass extinction event is actually happening. For instance some studies
divide the sixth mass extinction in 2 phases, beginning from 100,000
years ago, which answers your question if you believe that the sixth
mass extinction already occurred. (Source:
<http://www.actionbioscience.org/newfrontiers/eldredge2.html>)
Some scientists however say that the actual beginning of the sixth
mass extinction is not yet determined. As of now, paleontologists are
only seeing evidences that the Earth is entering the sixth mass
extinction event but these are not sufficient to show that the mass
extinction is indeed happening. Most of the data gathered as evidences
are shown from populations of few species like birds and large mammals
or even fungi. Nevertheless, scientists are seeing that the sixth mass
extinction may happen in a rate that is unprecedented in speed
compared to the first 5 extinctions however this is only based on
current data. Source:
<http://www.learner.org/courses/envsci/unit/text.php?unit=9&secNum=6>

Record-breaking deluge swamps Western New York
Buffalo News, 14 Jul 2017 00:29Z

River towns brace: 'Flooding of this magnitude has not been seen before'
Chicago Tribune, 14 Jul 2017 01:28Z

Assaad Razzouk @AssaadRazzouk 14 Jul 2017 06:24Z
Asia Warned of Climate Catastrophe: Swaths of Continent Face 50% More Rain
and Summers 8°C Hotter This Century Says @ADB_HQ

EasyJet picks Austrian base for post-Brexit plan
BBC News, 14 Jul 2017 09:53Z

EasyJet's Move to Set Up New Airline Is a Commercial Decision -- PM May's
Spokeswoman
New York Times, 14 Jul 2017 10:53Z

Assaad Razzouk @AssaadRazzouk 14 Jul 2017 11:24Z
The European Commission Takes Poland to Court. Because Poland Wants to
Destroy an 8,000-Year Old Pristine Forest. #conservation

climatehawk1 @climatehawk1 14 Jul 2017 13:21Z
Wildfires continue to rage across Italy as police blame arsonists for
Vesuvius blaze http://crwd.fr/2vg80AT #climate

Hurricane Fernanda intensifies [to cat 3]; Watching for Hawaii impact
The Weather Network, 14 Jul 2017 13:50Z

200-foot-wide sinkhole swallows 2 Florida houses, others at risk
ABC News, 14 Jul 2017 14:52Z

NorthWestern Energy: Heatwave brownouts not a concern
KPAX-TV, 14 Jul 2017 15:39Z

California moves closer to 100% renewable energy
ThinkProgress, 14 Jul 2017 15:54Z

[Noticed an unofficial poll related to #SeaLevel2017 found the majority now
expected 1-2m of SLR by 2100].
IP Urban Resilience @IP_URP 14 Jul 2017 17:02Z
"If global temperature rises unchecked, New Orleans will not see another 300
years" http://ow.ly/E6bN30dDeqc
[SLR chart:]

The new GOP health-care bill isn't better or worse. It's just more incoherent.
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 15:16Z

Ohio county fair hogs to be destroyed after swine flu found
ABC News, 14 Jul 2017 13:20Z
Wally W.
2017-07-15 06:02:44 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<https://www.researchgate.net/post/When_did_the_sixth_mass_extinction_start>
When did the sixth mass extinction start?
Your premise is that it *did* start.