Discussion:
Saibai islanders celebrate new SLR wall
Add Reply
M***@kymhorsell.com
2017-07-15 01:00:02 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Raw Message
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-15/saibai-islanders-celebrate-new-seawall-rising-ocean-levels/8709912>

Saibai islanders celebrate new $24.5m seawall to fight rising ocean
levels in Torres Strait

The new seawall:
<Loading Image...>

The old seawall wasn't doing it:
<Loading Image...>

Emilia Terzon
ABC News
15 Jul 2017 00:03Z

People on the Torres Strait's largest island of Saibai are celebrating
a long-awaited seawall after more than a decade of pleading, but the
future is less certain for other sinking island communities.

Saibai is a low-lying mud island just a short dinghy trip from Papua
New Guinea, which has been struggling with rising sea levels, land
erosion and king tides for years.

At the peak of the crisis, there were fears that the entire community
of 350 people would need to be relocated.

Its cemetery became a symbol of this crisis when graves started being
eroded away.

<Loading Image...>

"The flood and the rain - it overflows the land," local fisherman
Durua Durua told the ABC this week.

In 2012, the Torres Strait Island Regional Council concluded it would
cost $22 mn to build seawalls and upgrade infrastructure on
Saibai and 5 other Torres Strait islands suffering from rising sea
levels.

Two years later, the Federal and Queensland govts pledged $26.2
mn for these islands under the Torres Strait Seawalls project.

This week, the first seawall built with that money was unveiled on
Saibai, to much celebration of residents.

<Loading Image...>

Speaking to crowds on Saibai, Torres Strait Regional Authority (TSRA)
chairman Napau Pedro Stephens said the island was used to being
ignored, but that had changed with the seawall's construction.

"We have global thinking, but we act locally - this is a project that
really defines that saying," he said.

Queensland Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
Partnerships Mark Furner said it would help the community.

"It's a project that will protect the community, protect the
culture, protect the homes and also the livelihoods of all those
people," he said.

The seawall is forecast to protect Saibai from inundation for 50
years. Saibai seawall came at large price with cost blowouts

But after cost blowouts mostly linked to the sourcing of rock, it came
at a very large price - $24.5 mn.

This leaves just a few mn in the coffers for the other Torres
Strait islands that are still in danger of being lost, as sea levels
continue to rise by millimetres each year.

<Loading Image...>

Federal MP Warren Entsch, who helped bring Saibai's plight to national
attention, said the Commonwealth still wanted to help the other five
communities.

Yet Mr Entsch said the devil was in the detail when it came to
committing extra money.

"How long is a piece of string? We were guaranteed that the cost
that we put up [last time] would cover the 6 islands," he said.

"Torres Strait island council is the one that managed the Saibai
contract - that's the reality."

<Loading Image...>

It was the same response from Mr Furner, who could not put a dollar
figure on how much would be committed.

"Not at this stage - I think we need to see the scoping work on those
other islands," he said.

'Time is very critical' to protect other islands

Torres Strait Mayor Fred Gela said costings were underway on seawalls
for several islands and preliminary talks with funding bodies were
promising.

"All we can do is work closely with state and Commonwealth and the
likes of TSRA - we've had some very good productive preliminary
discussions already," he said.

Yet Councillor Gela also said that time was of the essence, especially
when it came the narrow coral island of Poruma, to the south of Saibai.

"Time is very critical in terms of getting some work underway so
we can actually protect and combat erosion at Poruma - Poruma
doesn't have time to wait," he said.




--
200-foot-wide sinkhole swallows 2 Florida houses, others at risk
ABC News, 14 Jul 2017 14:52Z

NorthWestern Energy: Heatwave brownouts not a concern
KPAX-TV, 14 Jul 2017 15:39Z

California moves closer to 100% renewable energy
ThinkProgress, 14 Jul 2017 15:54Z

[Noticed an unofficial poll related to #SeaLevel2017 found the majority now
expected 1-2m of SLR by 2100].
IP Urban Resilience @IP_URP 14 Jul 2017 17:02Z
"If global temperature rises unchecked, New Orleans will not see another 300
years" http://ow.ly/E6bN30dDeqc
[SLR chart:]
<Loading Image...>

The new GOP health-care bill isn't better or worse. It's just more incoherent.
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 15:16Z

Ohio county fair hogs to be destroyed after swine flu found
ABC News, 14 Jul 2017 13:20Z

The New York Times @nytimes 12 Jul 2017 12:30am
Scientists looked at animal populations and found that nearly a third are in
decline, a sign of mass extinction
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/884888923713015809/meXs1TC9?format=jpg&name=600x314>
2095 retweets 1528 likes

Former Soviet military officer says he attended Trump Jr meeting
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017
A former Soviet counterintelligence officer says he attended a June 2016
meeting with US President Donald Trump's son, marking another shift in the
account of a discussion that was billed as part of a Russian Government
effort to help the Republican's White House campaign.

Metro's $80m back-up system may have failed at moment Melbourne needed it
The Age, 14 Jul 2017 08:11Z

Extreme Weather Wiping Out Hard-Won GDP Gains in the ...
Caribbean360.com, 14 Jul 2017 19:06Z

Homeland Security confirms special entry for Russian lawyer
The Hill, 14 Jul 2017 22:05Z

Severe Storms Topple Trees, Fill Sky With Lightning
NBC4 Washington, 14 Jul 2017 23:29Z

Trump set to bring in new attorney to manage response to Russia investigation
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 23:35Z

Zeke Hausfather @hausfath 14 Jul 2017 23:39Z
The folks at Snopes fact checked recent claims that adjustments to the data
greatly increase warming:
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/885977749155741696/vwbP1esh?format=jpg&name=600x314>

Andy Skuce @andyskuce 14 Jul 2017 18:17Z
Just 6% chance of a record for 2017; 64% chance of second place; 30% chance
of third.
<Loading Image...>

Saibai islanders celebrate new seawall to fight rising ocean levels
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017 00:03Z
People on the Torres Strait's largest island of Saibai celebrate a long-
awaited seawall after more than a decade of pleading, but the future is less
certain for other sinking island communities.
Bret Cahill
2017-07-15 04:29:31 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Raw Message
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-15/saibai-islanders-celebrate-new-seawall-rising-ocean-levels/8709912>
Saibai islanders celebrate new $24.5m seawall to fight rising ocean
levels in Torres Strait
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/8710340-3x2-700x467.jpg>
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/3865232-3x2-700x467.jpg>
Emilia Terzon
ABC News
15 Jul 2017 00:03Z
People on the Torres Strait's largest island of Saibai are celebrating
a long-awaited seawall after more than a decade of pleading, but the
future is less certain for other sinking island communities.
Saibai is a low-lying mud island just a short dinghy trip from Papua
New Guinea, which has been struggling with rising sea levels, land
erosion and king tides for years.
At the peak of the crisis, there were fears that the entire community
of 350 people would need to be relocated.
Its cemetery became a symbol of this crisis when graves started being
eroded away.
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/8710352-3x2-700x467.jpg>
Fundy-deniers might start thinking when remains & caskets start floating around.

Or maybe not.


Bret Cahill

Loading...