Discussion:
Permafrost: Nature Geoscience
(too old to reply)
M***@kymhorsell.com
2017-07-15 03:30:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/focus/Permafrost/index.html>

Nearly one-quarter of the land in the Northern Hemisphere is underlain by
permafrost. As this frozen soil melts, it releases large amounts of carbon
dioxide and methane, and also alters surface hydrology. In this focus, we
present a collection of research and comment pieces that look at the current
effects of melting permafrost and assess how this vast carbon store could
influence climate in the future.

The coming thaw
Editorial
(doi:10.1038/ngeo2811)

Communities around the Arctic are already seeing the effects of melting
permafrost. Some of the biggest effects of this thaw will probably emerge in
the coming centuries.

PDF (714 KB)
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v9/n9/pdf/ngeo2811.pdf>


Permafrost: It's a gas
Torben R. Christensen
(doi:10.1038/ngeo2803)

Climate change is causing widespread permafrost thaw in the Arctic.
Measurements at 33 Arctic lakes show that old carbon from thawing permafrost
is being emitted as methane, though emission rates have not changed during
the past 60 years.

PDF (517 KB)
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v9/n9/pdf/ngeo2803.pdf>

Permafrost carbon: Catalyst for deglaciation
Andrew H. MacDougall
doi:10.1038/ngeo2802

The sources contributing to the deglacial rise in atmospheric CO2
concentrations are unclear. Climate model simulations suggest thawing
permafrost soils were the initial source, highlighting the vulnerability of
modern permafrost carbon stores.

PDF (142 KB)
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/pdf/ngeo2802.pdf>


...

--
California moves closer to 100% renewable energy
ThinkProgress, 14 Jul 2017 15:54Z

[Noticed an unofficial poll related to #SeaLevel2017 found the majority now
expected 1-2m of SLR by 2100].
IP Urban Resilience @IP_URP 14 Jul 2017 17:02Z
"If global temperature rises unchecked, New Orleans will not see another 300
years" http://ow.ly/E6bN30dDeqc
[SLR chart:]
<Loading Image...>

The new GOP health-care bill isn't better or worse. It's just more incoherent.
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 15:16Z

Ohio county fair hogs to be destroyed after swine flu found
ABC News, 14 Jul 2017 13:20Z

The New York Times @nytimes 12 Jul 2017 12:30am
Scientists looked at animal populations and found that nearly a third are in
decline, a sign of mass extinction
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/884888923713015809/meXs1TC9?format=jpg&name=600x314>
2095 retweets 1528 likes

Former Soviet military officer says he attended Trump Jr meeting
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017
A former Soviet counterintelligence officer says he attended a June 2016
meeting with US President Donald Trump's son, marking another shift in the
account of a discussion that was billed as part of a Russian Government
effort to help the Republican's White House campaign.

Metro's $80m back-up system may have failed at moment Melbourne needed it
The Age, 14 Jul 2017 08:11Z

Andy Skuce @andyskuce 14 Jul 2017 18:17Z
Just 6% chance of a record for 2017; 64% chance of second place; 30% chance
of third.
<Loading Image...>

climatehawk1 @climatehawk1 14 Jul 2017 18:18Z
#Climate fact: The international panel on climate (IPCC) is cautious, not
alarmist, w/ its predictions. http://crwd.fr/2tmHPXW
[10 indicators of GW:]
<Loading Image...>

Extreme Weather Wiping Out Hard-Won GDP Gains in the ...
Caribbean360.com, 14 Jul 2017 19:06Z

Homeland Security confirms special entry for Russian lawyer
The Hill, 14 Jul 2017 22:05Z

Severe Storms Topple Trees, Fill Sky With Lightning
NBC4 Washington, 14 Jul 2017 23:29Z

Trump set to bring in new attorney to manage response to Russia investigation
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 23:35Z

Zeke Hausfather @hausfath 14 Jul 2017 23:39Z
The folks at Snopes fact checked recent claims that adjustments to the data
greatly increase warming:
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/885977749155741696/vwbP1esh?format=jpg&name=600x314>

Saibai islanders celebrate new seawall to fight rising ocean levels
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017 00:03Z
People on the Torres Strait's largest island of Saibai celebrate a long-
awaited seawall after more than a decade of pleading, but the future is less
certain for other sinking island communities.
AlleyCat
2017-07-15 05:00:50 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
As this frozen soil melts, it releases large amounts of carbon
dioxide
No shit, shonky.

https://vimeo.com/223697931
JTEM is super wealthy!
2017-07-16 00:26:29 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
What do you want? What is your goal?

The only alternative to warmer temperatures
and rising sea levels is another glacial
period. I'll take warm any day.




-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/163002156888
gordo
2017-07-16 02:47:31 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 17:26:29 -0700 (PDT), "JTEM is super wealthy!"
Post by JTEM is super wealthy!
What do you want? What is your goal?
The only alternative to warmer temperatures
and rising sea levels is another glacial
period. I'll take warm any day.
The alternative is to slow the rapid rate of increase in global
temperatures. Pay attention.
Post by JTEM is super wealthy!
-- --
http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/163002156888
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
AlleyCat
2017-07-16 05:42:13 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 20:47:31 -0600, gordo says...
Post by gordo
Post by JTEM is super wealthy!
What do you want? What is your goal?
The only alternative to warmer temperatures
and rising sea levels is another glacial
period. I'll take warm any day.
The alternative is to slow the rapid rate of increase in global
temperatures. Pay attention.
Oh, you mean that giNORmous rise of 0.0071428571428571°C a year for the
last 140 years. wow

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!
Kym Horsell
2017-07-16 06:13:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Post by AlleyCat
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 20:47:31 -0600, gordo says...
Post by gordo
Post by JTEM is super wealthy!
What do you want? What is your goal?
The only alternative to warmer temperatures
and rising sea levels is another glacial
period. I'll take warm any day.
The alternative is to slow the rapid rate of increase in global
temperatures. Pay attention.
Oh, you mean that giNORmous rise of 0.0071428571428571°C a year for the
last 140 years. wow
Don't forget it's acceleratin! Ya no. Like a truck with yor foot on da gas!

<http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/regions/global-land>

In 1760 --- 0.43 C/cent
In 1810 -- 0.79
In 1860 -- 0.91
In 1910 -- 1.11
In 1960 -- 2.16
In 1990 -- 2.78
Post by AlleyCat
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!
If yo don tak yor foot off da gas an you hit da wall, sure! It wil be a mes!!
Unum
2017-07-16 18:23:33 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Post by Kym Horsell
Post by AlleyCat
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 20:47:31 -0600, gordo says...
Post by gordo
Post by JTEM is super wealthy!
What do you want? What is your goal?
The only alternative to warmer temperatures
and rising sea levels is another glacial
period. I'll take warm any day.
The alternative is to slow the rapid rate of increase in global
temperatures. Pay attention.
ratboy thinks if we don't have global warming there will
be an ice age, hilarious!
Post by Kym Horsell
Post by AlleyCat
Oh, you mean that giNORmous rise of 0.0071428571428571°C a year for the
last 140 years. wow
Where I live the average daily highs are about 5F above what they
were 20 years ago. Summertime temps that were a comfortable mid-90's
are now routinely above 100F.
Post by Kym Horsell
Don't forget it's acceleratin! Ya no. Like a truck with yor foot on da gas!
<http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/regions/global-land>
In 1760 --- 0.43 C/cent
In 1810 -- 0.79
In 1860 -- 0.91
In 1910 -- 1.11
In 1960 -- 2.16
In 1990 -- 2.78
Post by AlleyCat
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!
If yo don tak yor foot off da gas an you hit da wall, sure! It wil be a mes!!
ratboy is keen to see humanity be "extinguished" and works to
make it happen every day,
R Kym Horsell
2017-07-16 18:50:40 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
...
Post by Unum
Post by Kym Horsell
Post by AlleyCat
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!
If yo don tak yor foot off da gas an you hit da wall, sure! It wil be a mes!!
ratboy is keen to see humanity be "extinguished" and works to
make it happen every day,
Hillbillies sleep drive into concrete barriers alla time. Tain't nuttin!
--
[In the US] wind and solar creates about 13.5 jobs per million dollars of
spending, and that building retrofits - energy efficiency - creates 16.7 jobs
per mn dollars of spending. This is more than three times the 5.2 jobs
per $1 mn for oil and natural gas, and more than 2 times the 6.9 jobs per
$1 mn for coal.
-- World Bank, Jul 2017
Loading...