Discussion:
~1000 bergs off newfoundland ytd
Add Reply
M***@kymhorsell.com
2017-07-15 12:00:02 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Raw Message
<http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/iceberg-alley-newfoundland-1.4199042>

Almost 1,000 icebergs counted in N.L. shipping lanes so far this year

This is the 18th most severe season on record since 1900, says
International Ice Patrol

The Canadian Press
Jul 11, 2017 1:20 PM NT

While the icebergs coming to Newfoundland and Labrador's coastlines
are a beautiful tourist attraction, they're creating havoc in North
Atlantic shipping lanes.

Iceberg Alley off Newfoundland has been an especially dangerous
stretch this year with almost 1,000 icebergs counted in North Atlantic
shipping lanes since Feb.

Gabrielle McGrath, commander of the US Coast Guard's International
Ice Patrol, said Mon it's already among the top 20 most severe ice
seasons on record since 1900.

A final ranking won't be known until later this year as some bergs are
still drifting south, she explained.

"There are definitely a lot still in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and near
the entrance to the Strait of Belle Isle and then up along the
Labrador coast," she said in an interview.

The gigantic slabs of prehistoric ice break off from Greenland
glaciers then move south. They drift in whatever direction the
currents and winds take them.

[Image] As of Mon, there were about 12 icebergs reportedly drifting through
shipping lanes off eastern Newfoundland. (Doreen Dalley)

The count continues but it's so far the 18th worst ice season on
record, McGrath said.

"Considering that number goes back the whole way to 1900, even the 18th most
severe is still pretty significant when you're looking at 117 years of data."

...

--
The New York Times @nytimes 12 Jul 2017 12:30am
Scientists looked at animal populations and found that nearly a third are in
decline, a sign of mass extinction
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/884888923713015809/meXs1TC9?format=jpg&name=600x314>
2095 retweets 1528 likes

Former Soviet military officer says he attended Trump Jr meeting
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017
A former Soviet counterintelligence officer says he attended a June 2016
meeting with US President Donald Trump's son, marking another shift in the
account of a discussion that was billed as part of a Russian Government
effort to help the Republican's White House campaign.

Metro's $80m back-up system may have failed at moment Melbourne needed it
The Age, 14 Jul 2017 08:11Z

Andy Skuce @andyskuce 14 Jul 2017 18:17Z
Just 6% chance of a record for 2017; 64% chance of second place; 30% chance
of third.
<Loading Image...>

climatehawk1 @climatehawk1 14 Jul 2017 18:18Z
#Climate fact: The international panel on climate (IPCC) is cautious, not
alarmist, w/ its predictions. http://crwd.fr/2tmHPXW
[10 indicators of GW:]
<Loading Image...>

Extreme Weather Wiping Out Hard-Won GDP Gains in the ...
Caribbean360.com, 14 Jul 2017 19:06Z

Homeland Security confirms special entry for Russian lawyer
The Hill, 14 Jul 2017 22:05Z

Severe Storms Topple Trees, Fill Sky With Lightning
NBC4 Washington, 14 Jul 2017 23:29Z

Trump set to bring in new attorney to manage response to Russia investigation
Washington Post, 14 Jul 2017 23:35Z

Zeke Hausfather @hausfath 14 Jul 2017 23:39Z
The folks at Snopes fact checked recent claims that adjustments to the data
greatly increase warming:
<https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/885977749155741696/vwbP1esh?format=jpg&name=600x314>

Saibai islanders celebrate new seawall to fight rising ocean levels
ABC News, 15 Jul 2017 00:03Z
People on the Torres Strait's largest island of Saibai celebrate a long-
awaited seawall after more than a decade of pleading, but the future is less
certain for other sinking island communities.
AlleyCat
2017-07-16 01:14:50 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Raw Message
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
Almost 1,000 icebergs counted in N.L. shipping lanes so far this year
Bu bu bu but... GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't natural calving wonderful?

Been doing it since ice formed on Earth back in the Big Banglocene, right?

We're all gonna diiiiiie!

True, but not from natural climate change.

Loading...