Lectric Yacht Sets Out On the 7 Seas To Vex Luddite Deniers
2017-07-17 02:52:53 UTC
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039239.html

<CIA>
R Kym Horsell
2017-07-17 03:01:29 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039239.html
"no commercial product will ever be developed from this idea".

--
4 killed, 6 missing in Gujarat amid monsoon floods
The Hindu, 16 Jul 2017 09:21Z

China renews blue alert for Typhoon Talas
Xinhua, 16 Jul 2017 09:22Z

Typhoon threat looms over S China Sea; tourists rescued
Economic Times, 16 Jul 2017 13:38Z
Dozens rescued from stormy weather in southwest China -- euronews

Railway Bridge Washed Away In Odisha Flash Floods, Government Seeks Army's Help
NDTV, 16 Jul 2017 14:30Z

climatehawk1 @climatehawk1 16 Jul 2017 14:57Z
Despite spouting #climate [science] denier talking pts, @EPA Chief surprised
he's called climate denier http://crwd.fr/2tW8Sgn

GOP bill would 'jeopardize the very existence of rural hospitals and nursing
homes': Collins
ABC News, 16 Jul 2017 15:28Z

Trump's approval rating at record low
The Hill, 16 Jul 2017 15:28Z

Trump lawyer: Trump Jr. meeting with Russians wasn't 'nefarious' because the
Secret Service let them in
Business Insider, 16 Jul 2017 15:39Z

Storm watch: Category 4 Hurricane Fernanda, tropical disturbance
[There are 2 DS in the Pac and 1 in the Atl; Fernanda is 2500 km from
Hawaii and so far there is no twitching in the regional SST over there
to indicate she is on the way. Slow-moving Talas about now is
impacting China after brushing past S Taiwan. It's not a strong storm
but anyway could cause dangerous flash-flooding].
Chron.com, 16 Jul 2017 16:37Z

Four killed, six missing from flooded east Verde River
FOX 10 News Phoenix, 16 Jul 2017 16:42Z

At least seven dead in Arizona flash flooding this weekend
ABC News, 16 Jul 2017 17:42Z

climatehawk1 @climatehawk1 16 Jul 2017 18:46Z
#Climate fact: Millennials have never lived through a colder-than-average
month - and never will http://crwd.fr/2ttTrbR

Peter Gleick @PeterGleick Jun 12
"What a terrible era in which idiots govern the blind."
- William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Mongolia to focus on renewable energy with Japanese backing
Aljazeera.com , 16 Jul 2017 11:28Z

Trump defends Donald Trump Jr. in Sunday morning tweetstorm
CNN, 16 Jul 2017 13:18Z

Jared Yates Sexton @JYSexton 14 Jul 2017 12:46 PM
Something just occurred to me. When Goldstone said the meeting was part of
Russia's effort to help his dad, Junior never said "What effort?"
5,008 Retweets 12,984 Likes
Nobody
2017-07-17 03:22:05 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039
239.html
<CIA>
Another waste of cash on a project that will never become commercially
viable. Does keep some people with jobs and some modicum of fame
though.

Much like the useless electric plane that took 16-1/2 months to go
around the world. That was a REAL joke because the pilot Bertrand
Piccard went around the world in a friggin unpowered balloon in just
under 20 days over a decade earlier. That record has been shortened to
under 15 days by Steve Fossett.
Wally W.
... Predicting Bret Will Not Reply <PBWNR>
Wally W.
</NRFBAP> No reply from Bret, as predicted
Bret Cahill
2017-07-17 17:49:47 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Nobody
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039
239.html
<CIA>
Another waste of cash on a project that will never become commercially
viable. Does keep some people with jobs and some modicum of fame
though.
Much like the useless electric plane that took 16-1/2 months to go
around the world. That was a REAL joke because the pilot Bertrand
Piccard went around the world in a friggin unpowered balloon in just
under 20 days over a decade earlier. That record has been shortened to
under 15 days by Steve Fossett.
... Predicting Bret Will Not Reply <PBWNR>
</NRFBAP> No reply from Bret, as predicted
Was there a question?

<CIA>
R Kym Horsell
2017-07-17 18:14:39 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Nobody
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039
239.html
<CIA>
Another waste of cash on a project that will never become commercially
viable. Does keep some people with jobs and some modicum of fame
though.
Much like the useless electric plane that took 16-1/2 months to go
around the world. That was a REAL joke because the pilot Bertrand
Piccard went around the world in a friggin unpowered balloon in just
under 20 days over a decade earlier. That record has been shortened to
under 15 days by Steve Fossett.
... Predicting Bret Will Not Reply <PBWNR>
</NRFBAP> No reply from Bret, as predicted
Was there a question?
I only heard whinin hillbilly.

Still, I liked the specs of the lil boat. 20 kw of PV, 2 x 1 kw windmills,
2 x 41 kw motors, 40 kwh of batteries, a 20 ft hydrogen tank and a big
ol kite sail to turn the motors inna generators. Sweet.
--
[Changes to GISTEMP over 2000-2016:]
Gavin Schmidt #@ClimateOfGavin 7 Mar 2016
2017-07-17 19:01:33 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Nobody
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039
239.html
<CIA>
Another waste of cash on a project that will never become commercially
viable. Does keep some people with jobs and some modicum of fame
though.
Much like the useless electric plane that took 16-1/2 months to go
around the world. That was a REAL joke because the pilot Bertrand
Piccard went around the world in a friggin unpowered balloon in just
under 20 days over a decade earlier. That record has been shortened to
under 15 days by Steve Fossett.
... Predicting Bret Will Not Reply <PBWNR>
</NRFBAP> No reply from Bret, as predicted
Was there a question?
I only heard whinin hillbilly.
Still, I liked the specs of the lil boat. 20 kw of PV, 2 x 1 kw windmills,
Unless they were planning to go really slow in dark windy polar regions in winter, I would have dropped the windmills.

On the other hand, at the dock, wind turbines vex Luddite deniers. They need to spend 10 years visiting every back bay and bayou in the U. S.
Post by R Kym Horsell
2 x 41 kw motors,
The motors could be larger. Sometimes you need a short burst of power. On the other hand, they should be able to steer clear of storms with good weather forecasts.

They ought to wander all over the planet to piss off Luddites everywhere.
Post by R Kym Horsell
40 kwh of batteries, a 20 ft hydrogen tank
It would be nice to know the size of the tank in equivalent kW-hrs.
Post by R Kym Horsell
and a big
ol kite sail
That's where the wind turbines need to be mounted. They need something that can be furled and stowed away. The much larger size possible with deployable turbines would be would be worth some sacrifice in efficiency.

That boat is _already_ generating ideas!
Post by R Kym Horsell
to turn the motors inna generators. Sweet.
I'd like to see the prop/turbines.

You can do a lot of things on water that you cannot do on land or air. Box energy density isn't a big deal on a vessel.

Bret Cahill
Sonny
Oh look, Brett and Horsehead going over engineering issues ROTFLMAO
R Kym Horsell
2017-07-17 21:54:44 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by R Kym Horsell
40 kwh of batteries, a 20 ft hydrogen tank
It would be nice to know the size of the tank in equivalent kW-hrs.
62 kg of H2 -- 9 GWh and enough for 1 day's motoring at 16 kt or 10 kt
into a stiff breeze without need of PV or batteries. :)
Post by R Kym Horsell
to turn the motors inna generators. Sweet.
I'd like to see the prop/turbines.
You can do a lot of things on water that you cannot do on land or air. Box energy density isn't a big deal on a vessel.
Members of the General Assembly and all officers, before they enter
upon the execution of the duties of their respective offices, and all
members of the bar, before they enter upon the practice of their
profession, shall take the following oath or affirmation:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will
support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution
of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth
of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will
faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of -------
according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that
since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen
of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within
this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to
fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in
carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus
offending, so help me God.

-- Section 228 of the Kentucky Constitution, oath of officers and attorneys.
Bret Cahill
2017-07-18 03:38:07 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by R Kym Horsell
40 kwh of batteries, a 20 ft hydrogen tank
It would be nice to know the size of the tank in equivalent kW-hrs.
62 kg of H2 -- 9 GWh and enough for 1 day's motoring at 16 kt or 10 kt
into a stiff breeze without need of PV or batteries. :)
They are exploiting the propeller rule, power ~ velocity^3. Just cruise a bit slower than max and store up plenty of energy for a rainy day.

I bet they spread sheeted everything, cost benefit risk analysis, time at sea, etc. to get the maximum number of Luddites to vex . . .

Bret Cahill
R Kym Horsell
2017-07-18 04:00:01 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by R Kym Horsell
40 kwh of batteries, a 20 ft hydrogen tank
It would be nice to know the size of the tank in equivalent kW-hrs.
62 kg of H2 -- 9 GWh and enough for 1 day's motoring at 16 kt or 10 kt
into a stiff breeze without need of PV or batteries. :)
They are exploiting the propeller rule, power ~ velocity^3. Just cruise a bit slower than max and store up plenty of energy for a rainy day.
I bet they spread sheeted everything, cost benefit risk analysis, time at sea, etc. to get the maximum number of Luddites to vex . . .

They have 50 naval architects working on the design.
Of course this is nothing compared to the daily-self-advertised expertise of
your average unschooled net yokul.

The French website has some of the details, but you need a spreadsheet
and your old design tables to figure out some of the juicier details.
(Some of the details about the boat you can google from its past incarnations,
and there have been a few :).
<http://www.energy-observer.org/en/#bateau>

Funny enough I actually have been on the boat back in the 90s.

Back then it was the "TAG Heuer" and was apparently 5m shorter than now. :)

It was never back then a great winner of Sydney/Hobarts or Americas Cups
challenge rounds. But it was still damn sexy.

I had the great misfortune to have parents & grandparents that have been
married more than once. Some of them make a habit of it. I think
the record is 5 or 6 times with kids each time. Hence I have an
extended family that is reasonably large.

The rels includes some that part-own maxis (it's never polite to
straight-out ask about the ownership/financials) and do the odd ocean race.

Now that all the parents & grandparents have gone to that farm upstate
I don't have any contact with the 1 million cousins and 10 million
2nd cousins. But back in the day there was an annual gathering of a
couple of the clans usu in Adelaide Xmas/NY and it was sometimes tollerable.

So one year I was invited to spend a couple days on some counsin's/uncle's
(as I say -- impolite to ask) big boat playing the part of unaccompanied
deck ballast.

However, one thing led to another and at the last minute I got bumped
over to the people sailing the T-H.

It was a neat trip anyway. But you only need to do it once. :)

--
Parts of Central NY could flood again as severe storms pound saturated soil
Syracuse.com, 17 Jul 2017 10:56Z

Illinois expands disaster proclamation; more floods possible
WGN-TV, 17 Jul 2017 11:54Z

Tasmania's fisheries cooked by record-breaking marine heatwave
Phys.Org, 17 Jul 2017 12:55Z

Stronger winds heat up West Antarctic ice melt
Phys.Org, 17 Jul 2017 16:30Z

Skeptical Science @skepticscience 17 Jul 2017 14:15Z
Rains have failed for a third consecutive season in East Africa, wilting
crops, killing livestock and entrenching...

Victorian renters 'pushed to the limit' by record low affordability
ABC News, 18 Jul 2017
Booming house prices and wage stagnation have been blamed for making rental
affordability the worst it's ever been in Victoria, as government data shows
only 0.4 per cent of one-bedroom rentals in Melbourne are classed as
affordable for low-income earners.

US study ranks Australian healthcare system among world's best
[It maybe was OK in the 80s; not particularly now].
ABC News, 18 Jul 2017
American researchers find Australia's healthcare system is the second best
in the developed world with the United States' costly model named the worst.

Living the nightmare of having my property seized for pipeline
LancasterOnline, 17 Jul 2017 15:34Z

'Rainless in Seattle': Could we break a record?
Seattle Times, 17 Jul 2017 16:34Z

Drifting Antarctic iceberg A-68 opens up clear water
BBC News, 17 Jul 2017 16:52Z

Climate study offers warnings for Florida farmers from global warming
The Ledger, 17 Jul 2017 17:36Z

During Made in America Week, White House defends imported Trump products
[It's someone else's fault!]
ABC News, 17 Jul 2017 21:32Z

Heavy rainfall floods portions of Baltimore County
WBAL Baltimore, 17 Jul 2017 21:33Z

New model projects an increase in dust storms in the US
[Yes, Bret told us already...]
Science Daily, 17 Jul 2017 22:04Z
Bret Cahill
2017-07-19 04:55:15 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by R Kym Horsell
40 kwh of batteries, a 20 ft hydrogen tank
It would be nice to know the size of the tank in equivalent kW-hrs.
62 kg of H2 -- 9 GWh and enough for 1 day's motoring at 16 kt or 10 kt
into a stiff breeze without need of PV or batteries. :)
They are exploiting the propeller rule, power ~ velocity^3. Just cruise a bit slower than max and store up plenty of energy for a rainy day.
I bet they spread sheeted everything, cost benefit risk analysis, time at sea, etc. to get the maximum number of Luddites to vex . . .
They have 50 naval architects working on the design.
Even more, the French are second to none when it comes to PR.
Post by R Kym Horsell
[...]
My only experience on the water other than docked cargo ships is working as a deck hand on a tour boat in Tidewater one summer. They docked right next to Pat Robertson's TV antenna. They had a book of foreign flags and Jane's Ships but we hardly used them. When we saw a ship we would announce to the tourists it was flagged in Sansabor.

Once a black guy I knew from a previous job was about to get onboard at the Portsmouth dock. He talked too much at the previous job so it was easy to guess he was planning to rob the boat. He recognized me and changed his mind about even getting on board.

I told the skipper, "if he got on board I was going to jump _over board_."

Bret Cahill

Wally W.
2017-07-18 03:06:42 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Nobody
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039
239.html
<CIA>
Another waste of cash on a project that will never become commercially
viable. Does keep some people with jobs and some modicum of fame
though.
Much like the useless electric plane that took 16-1/2 months to go
around the world. That was a REAL joke because the pilot Bertrand
Piccard went around the world in a friggin unpowered balloon in just
under 20 days over a decade earlier. That record has been shortened to
under 15 days by Steve Fossett.
... Predicting Bret Will Not Reply <PBWNR>
</NRFBAP> No reply from Bret, as predicted
Was there a question?
I only heard whinin hillbilly.
"a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
-- Paul Simon, The Boxer
Wally W.
2017-07-18 03:07:40 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Nobody
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039
239.html
<CIA>
Another waste of cash on a project that will never become commercially
viable. Does keep some people with jobs and some modicum of fame
though.
Much like the useless electric plane that took 16-1/2 months to go
around the world. That was a REAL joke because the pilot Bertrand
Piccard went around the world in a friggin unpowered balloon in just
under 20 days over a decade earlier. That record has been shortened to
under 15 days by Steve Fossett.
... Predicting Bret Will Not Reply <PBWNR>
</NRFBAP> No reply from Bret, as predicted
Was there a question?
<CIA>
Here is a question: Do you reply only to questions?

<PBWNR> Predicting Bret Will Not Reply
Bret Cahill
2017-07-18 03:32:14 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Nobody
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-powered-204039
239.html
<CIA>
Another waste of cash on a project that will never become commercially
viable. Does keep some people with jobs and some modicum of fame
though.
Much like the useless electric plane that took 16-1/2 months to go
around the world. That was a REAL joke because the pilot Bertrand
Piccard went around the world in a friggin unpowered balloon in just
under 20 days over a decade earlier. That record has been shortened to
under 15 days by Steve Fossett.
... Predicting Bret Will Not Reply <PBWNR>
</NRFBAP> No reply from Bret, as predicted
Was there a question?
<CIA>
Here is a question: Do you reply only to questions?
Depends.

If the denier sez "it was hotter in the Big Banglocene" there isn't much to debate. Like cig addicts the denier is in Stage IV "gotta die of sumthin."

Why reply to someone who wants to die ASAP?

<CIA>

If the denier wants to die ASAP, why argue?

<CIA>

He has that right!

<CIA>
Wally W.
2017-07-18 04:02:49 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Wally W.
Post by Nobody
Post by Bret Cahill
[...]

Should someone call the SPCA for the attempt above to over-work
crickets?
Wally W.
Wally W.
bump
Paul Aubrin
2017-07-17 05:50:14 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/5-25-million-self-
powered-204039239.html
Post by Bret Cahill
<CIA>
Sails make a more efficient use of aeolian energy to move ships.
george152
2017-07-17 20:19:21 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
<CIA>
Sails make a more efficient use of aeolian energy to move ships.
Thats why when sail was the only means of ship propulsion there were
such long becalments that cannibalism was rife.
Some ships took several weeks just to clear harbour.

And this solar powered vessel is going to be pretty much the same in the
high Arctic, the Low Antarctic and every stormy day in between

---