Low Reynolds Number Flight
2018-05-12 14:56:08 UTC
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
george152
2018-05-12 20:12:33 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm and we have 14.7 psi at sea level

---
2018-05-12 21:53:35 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?

<CIA>
R Kym Horsell
2018-05-12 23:14:25 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
Perty typical.

Some self-certified espert has confused an airplane prop for
a helicopter prop and is out by 10x.

The scare thin deze days is compoota and 3d printers put building stuff
based on dis kinda crapspertize inna the hands of anyone ol enuf 2 walk.
--
[Never been sober for 2 days straight:]
Post by Bret Cahill
Put down da shine an sober up for a day or 2.
-- rkh 03 Aug 2017 0:1:2 PDT

Neber!
-- AlleyCat <https://www.facebook.com/gerald.r.davis.9> aka Hillbilly Davis, 03 Aug 2017
george152
2018-05-13 00:34:12 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
Perty typical.
Some self-certified espert has confused an airplane prop for
a helicopter prop and is out by 10x.
The scare thin deze days is compoota and 3d printers put building stuff
based on dis kinda crapspertize inna the hands of anyone ol enuf 2 walk.
You enjoy being wrong dont you

---
george152
2018-05-13 00:33:15 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
There IS a helicopter rotor that does 2500
And
I didn't see anything about the power source .
Or why its a
90 second flight.

---
Wally W.
2018-05-13 01:16:09 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
There IS a helicopter rotor that does 2500
And
I didn't see anything about the power source .
Or why its a
90 second flight.
Or why they are comparing a "regular helicopter" ... with a rotor of
what size? ... to a 1.8 kg drone.

IOW: comparing apples and oranges.

Greenies don't do scale?
Post by george152
---
Or comparing Raptures to science.
Wally W.
2018-05-13 05:45:37 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
There IS a helicopter rotor that does 2500
And
I didn't see anything about the power source .
Or why its a
90 second flight.
Or why they are comparing a "regular helicopter" ... with a rotor of
what size? ... to a 1.8 kg drone.
IOW: comparing apples and oranges.
Or comparing Raptures to science.
Do tell ... why is a "regular helicopter" comparable to a drone when
considering rotor rpm?

How do the tip speeds compare at the same rpm?

Do greenies do scale?
Wally W.
2018-05-13 18:19:07 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
[...]
What?!

No irrelevant, scoffing quip?
Do greenies do scale?
Bret Cahill
2018-05-13 18:43:09 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
[...]
Deniers think quad 4 drones have rotor diameters of 1.1 m?

<CIA>
Wally W.
Greenies think a "regular helicopter" has a rotor diameter of 1.1 m?
R Kym Horsell
2018-05-13 19:24:53 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
[...]
What's a meter?
--
Specification(T-REX 600E PRO DFC):
Length: 1174mm

I.e. main rotor speed == 290 rpm
tail rotor == 955 rpm
Nobody
2018-05-14 01:57:39 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
[...]

WRONG.
My T-REX 450 runs about 2500-2700 head rpm (main rotor RPM)
A 600 is slightly less, probably about 2200-2400
I havent flown one so I don't have exact numbers.
Tail rotor speed according to your specs for the 600 would be 3.38
times that.
My 450 is 4.24 times the head speed with stock gears.
george152
2018-05-13 20:32:44 UTC
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
[...]
The tip speed on the Mars machine will be supersonic or very near it.
Interference between the two rotors airflows will be a problem I guess

---
2018-05-13 22:21:28 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Wally W.
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Wally W.
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
[...]
Deniers think supersonic is 170 m/sec?

<CIA>
Bret Cahill
2018-05-13 03:39:57 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
It'd be OK iffen there be a tail rotor on the Mars chopper.

Is there a tail rotor on the Mars chopper?

<CIA>
george152
2018-05-13 04:08:44 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
It'd be OK iffen there be a tail rotor on the Mars chopper.
Is there a tail rotor on the Mars chopper?
If you read the article they are going to have counter rotating main
rotors making the tail rotor unnecessary.

---
2018-05-13 04:23:48 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
It'd be OK iffen there be a tail rotor on the Mars chopper.
Is there a tail rotor on the Mars chopper?
If you read the article they are going to have counter rotating main
rotors making the tail rotor unnecessary.
Then why did you bring up tail rotors?

<CIA>
R Kym Horsell
2018-05-13 04:37:50 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
It'd be OK iffen there be a tail rotor on the Mars chopper.
Is there a tail rotor on the Mars chopper?
If you read the article they are going to have counter rotating main
rotors making the tail rotor unnecessary.
Then why did you bring up tail rotors?
It was the first item on his google search.
--
Daylight saving may change heart attack timing
UPI.com, 31 Mar 2014 19:30Z
Monday after the U.S. "springs forward" at Daylight Saving time.
george152
2018-05-13 20:30:43 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
It'd be OK iffen there be a tail rotor on the Mars chopper.
Is there a tail rotor on the Mars chopper?
If you read the article they are going to have counter rotating main
rotors making the tail rotor unnecessary.
Then why did you bring up tail rotors?
It was the first item on his google search.
When I learnt about rotors on helicopters it was 20 years before the
invention of the Internet

---
george152
2018-05-13 20:29:26 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-helicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on Earth is
around 2500 rpm
What helicopter has a rotor that spins at 2500 rpm?
The main rotor turns at approximately a 5-6:1 ratio for the tail rotor
and the tail rotor spinning at approximately 2250-3000 rpm.
Okay ?
It'd be OK iffen there be a tail rotor on the Mars chopper.
Is there a tail rotor on the Mars chopper?
If you read the article they are going to have counter rotating main
rotors making the tail rotor unnecessary.
Then why did you bring up tail rotors?
Because I like injecting a few facts into your miserable world.
It was all about rotor rpm didn't say which rotor :)

---
<CAP>
Nobody
2018-05-14 01:46:27 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-h
elicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on
Earth is around 2500 rpm and we have 14.7 psi at sea level
Talking full size helicopter?
You thinking about a plane propeller?
There are no full sized helicopters I know of that have a main rotor
speed of 2500 rpm. More like around 500 give or take.

My TREX450 is about 2700 rpm as you said though.
george152
2018-05-14 05:24:17 UTC
Post by Nobody
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-h
elicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on
Earth is around 2500 rpm and we have 14.7 psi at sea level
Talking full size helicopter?
You thinking about a plane propeller?
There are no full sized helicopters I know of that have a main rotor
speed of 2500 rpm. More like around 500 give or take.
My TREX450 is about 2700 rpm as you said though.
I repeat once again
THE TAIL ROTOR OF A REAL HELICOPTER

---
Nobody
2018-05-14 21:00:41 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Nobody
Post by george152
Post by Bret Cahill
The prop spins at 3000 rpm to mitigate for the low density.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-sending-first-autonomous-h
elicopter-084900581.html
I'd expect it to be a lot higher seeing that normal cruise on
Earth is around 2500 rpm and we have 14.7 psi at sea level
Talking full size helicopter?
You thinking about a plane propeller?
There are no full sized helicopters I know of that have a main rotor
speed of 2500 rpm. More like around 500 give or take.
My TREX450 is about 2700 rpm as you said though.
I repeat once again
THE TAIL ROTOR OF A REAL HELICOPTER
No where was the tail rotor of a real helicopter mentioned in this
thread.

Besides, the original article was about the main rotors as the drone
has no tail rotor.