Bad news: US EV sales 45,000 in May with Tesla #1
M***@kymhorsell.com
2018-06-05 02:45:31 UTC
<https://robertscribbler.com/>

US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates

The rampant rate at which fossil fuel based industry is pumping heat
trapping gasses into the atmosphere is a serious and growing
problem. A problem that is best answered by a transition to clean
energy. Anyone telling you something different is lying or selling the
energy equivalent of snake oil.

****

With atmospheric CO2 equivalents hitting 493 parts per mn during
2017 (and likely ramping to 496 ppm this year), the call for a clean
energy transition couldn't be louder. 550 parts per mn is enough
to warm the Earth by 3 C over one Century time scales. And, over the
longer term such high levels of heat trapping gasses would melt most
of the land ice on Earth, raise seas by 200 feet, and cause additional
warming in the range of up to 6 C.

Tesla Dominates US Clean Energy Vehicle Sales in May

(Tesla's record EV production rate for the Model 3 is enabling the all-clean-energy company to dominate US sales.)

With most of the world's carbon emissions produced by fossil fuel
burning in transportation, electricity generation, and industry,
transitioning to non-carbon emitting energy sources in these segments
is crucial to addressing ramping climate harms. And, thankfully, clean
transportation in the US in the form of electrical vehicles is
presently making rapid gains.

During May of 2018, according to reports from Inside EVs, 24,560
electrical vehicles sold in the US representing about a 50 percent
growth year-on-year over 2017 and setting a new May record for EV
sales. This surge in EV sales was led by the Tesla Model 3 which hit
6,250 sold during May. Adding in Model S and Model X, Tesla moved more
than 9,200 electrical cars - representing nearly 40% of the May market.

Chevy Bolt, on the other hand, eeked out just 1,125 sales even as
Chevy Volt sold 1,675. Both behind second place Toyota Prius Prime at
2,924. Chevy has talked a good game RE electrical vehicles - recently
marketing the Bolt as a so-called `Tesla killer.' However, Chevy's
sales force has consistently failed to deliver in volumes that are
high enough to match the talk. Chevy's Volt, a plug in electric hybrid
with 52 miles of all-electric range, is likely a superior value and
overall more attractive vehicle than the Prius Prime (with just 25
miles of electric range). But the new energy Prius frequently outsells
the Volt by a large margin.

Other major EVs of note during May include Nissan's Leaf - which sold
1,576 in the US, but is a major seller on the international
market. Earlier this year, we thought the Leaf might present the Model
3 with a bit of a challenge in the US But that competition did not
emerge as the Model 3 rapidly hit higher and higher sales volumes.

(According to Inside EVs, US plug in sales hit 24,560 during. This is nearly 50% growth year on year.)

Another PHEV to watch is the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Pacifica
recently secured a 62,000 vehicle order from Waymo. At 620 US sales
during May, the Pacifica also had a rather decent showing for a new
PHEV. Although we're pretty confident that it could sell well north of
2,000 if Chrysler decided to get serious.

Overall, the story is presently one of Tesla dominance. And over the
coming months Tesla's lead is likely to only lengthen as it reaches
and exceeds 5,000 per month production capability.

Solar dimming above temperate forests and its impact on local climate
Forests could play a role in limiting the amount of sunlight reaching
Earth's surface, a new study suggests. A study undertaken in the
Eastern Alps in Europe, where forests have constantly expanded in the
last 4 decades, finds that the presence of forest was associated
with lower amounts of solar radiation. "These results suggest that
local climate is influenced by land cover change through afforestation
both via albedo and radiation feedbacks but also by means of indirect
biophysical and species-dependent mechanisms," the researchers
say. -- Environmental Research Letters

Australia: Don't turn to the military to solve the climate-change crisis
Nick Buxton, The Guardian

Eerie silence falls on Shetland cliffs that once echoed to seabirds' cries
Robin McKie, The Observer

Blame our leaders for the high price we pay for energy, not the market
Ross Clark, Sun Telegraph

In Rebuke to Pruitt, EPA Science Board Votes to Review Climate Policy Changes
Marianne Lavelle, InsideClimate News

Hurricane worries prompt refiner Motiva to shift expansion plans
Reuters

India slashes heatwave death toll with series of low-cost measures
Michael Safi, The Guardian

Stake in nuclear plant would be dramatic change of policy for UK
Nick Butler, Financial Times

China to take aim at diesel vehicles in new smog push
Reuters

Sea Level Rise: Denial by Bullshit
Tamino, Open Mind

Fossil fuel electricity, without pollution: TX has a new power plant
David Roberts, Vox

Margaret Atwood: 'If the ocean dies, so do we'
BBC News

Up in smoke: what did Australian taxpayers get for their $2bn emissions fund?
Adam Morton, The Guardian

[Eben hillbillies evenchlee get tire of udda hillbillies:]
'Over to you, Barnaby': Nationals urge Joyce to consider political future
ABC News, 05 Jun 2018
Barnaby Joyce's colleagues want clarity over his future in the Federal
Parliament, with one of them declaring he needs to make a call on it, and soon.

[#idiocracy]
'A long road to justice': Grenfell Tower victims 'wrongly told to stay put'
during blaze
ABC News, 05 Jun 2018
Residents of London's Grenfell Tower housing block should have been told to
get out quickly rather than stay in their flats as flames engulfed the
building and killed more than 70 people a year ago, a public inquiry has heard.

Australian vineyard value more than triples thanks to China's wine boom
ABC Riverland, 04 Jun 2018 20:57Z
After decades of drought and oversupply of grapes, prices for vineyards in
South Australia's Riverland have tripled thanks to growing Chinese exports.

Anxious Kirra Beach caravan park retirees hope Minister can stop eviction
ABC News, 04 Jun 2018 21:56Z
Secret development plans may be behind the eviction of about 80 permanent
residents living at a Gold Coast caravan park, Queensland Housing Minister
Mick de Brenni says.

Origin Energy to slash electricity costs in QLD and SA, freeze costs in ...
The Advertiser, 04 Jun 2018 22:29Z
["We have turned the corner" said Fed Energy Min Josh Frydenberg.
He put the chief cause of high energy prices to "excessive charging by some
of the companies"].

[Background:]
Watchdog to probe possible $400 mn power price gouge
The Sydney Morning Herald, 14 May 2018
This means consumers may have been charged 3 times more than needed to
cover the tax liabilities, a possibility Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg
said was ...
In Depth: Poles and wires firms face price-gouge probe, compo claims --
The Australian, 14 May 2018

Energy policy failure behind 10-year story of spiralling electricity bills
ABC Online, 03 Jan. 2018

Exclusive: ConocoPhillips prepares to sell stake in Canada's Cenovus - sources
Reuters, 04 Jun 2018 6:26 PM

Microsoft and technology stocks boost Wall Street, Australian dollar
hits US76.5c
ABC News, 05 June 2018 08:35:28

Tesla Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA - Closed: 4 Jun., 4:03 pm GMT-4
296.74 USD +4.92 (1.69%) *** up 1.7% ***

BP plc (ADR)
NYSE: BP - 4 Jun., 4:02 pm GMT-4
45.96 USD +0.040 (0.087%) even

Royal Dutch Shell Plc Class A
ETR: R6C - 4 Jun., 5:35 pm GMT+2
29.86 EUR -0.100 (0.33%) down

Facebook, Inc. Common Stock
NASDAQ: FB - Closed: 4 Jun., 4:01 pm GMT-4
193.28 USD -0.71 (0.37%) down

ConocoPhillips
NYSE: COP - 4 Jun., 4:01 pm GMT-4
67.90 USD -0.39 (0.57%) down

Exxon Mobil Corporation
NYSE: XOM - 4 Jun., 4:00 pm GMT-4
80.97 USD -0.86 (1.05%) *** down 1.1% ***

American Outdoor Brands Corp
NASDAQ: AOBC - Closed: 4 Jun., 4:00 pm GMT-4
12.29 USD -0.17 (1.36%) *** down 1.4% ***

Chevron Corporation
NYSE: CVX - 4 Jun., 4:00 pm GMT-4
122.26 USD -1.59 (1.28%) *** down 1.6% ***

Suncor Energy Inc. (USA)
TSE: SU - 4 Jun., 3:48 pm GMT-4
51.61 CAD -0.87 (1.66%) *** down 1.7% ***

Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation
NYSE: COG - 4 Jun., 3:59 pm GMT-4
22.45 USD -0.58 (2.52%) *** down 2.5% ***
JTEM is right
2018-06-05 03:42:55 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
The rampant rate at which fossil fuel based industry is pumping heat
trapping gasses into the atmosphere is
You never let off the dogma, do you?

It's an ice age. We could only wish that we
could warm the planet with what little oil
we've got left.

JTEM is right
2018-06-05 04:38:19 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
So all the EVs combined sold fewer cars than the
Honda Accord.

Honda Accord: 28,212

Which means even high gasoline prices couldn't
convince people to buy one...

Don't get me wrong: Some of the EVs are actually
pretty cool. The Cadillac looks "Edgy," and the
Chevy Bolt leaves the Tesla Model 3 in the dust.
But, I can't own any of them, and neither can
tens of millions of Americans. We have to change
society to make them fit, and if we're going to
go through the bother we might as well change it
for better solutions.

Lithium batteries are a nightmare!

Hydrogen is a better solution than EVs. Synthetic
Methane is a better solution than EVs. Even coal
to liquids is better, though it only buys us some
generations before we're right back here again...

EVs suck. They're excessively short sighted, just
like the people wetting their pants at the thought
of it getting slightly warmer during an ice age.

Paul Aubrin
2018-06-05 07:20:37 UTC
Hydrogen is a better solution than EVs. Synthetic Methane is a better
solution than EVs. Even coal to liquids is better, though it only buys
us some generations before we're right back here again...
Batteries technology is a mature one. There is no breakthrough in sight.
For mobile applications (EV, trucks, planes), highly sensitive to energy
density, the situation is not likely to change soon.
JTEM is right
2018-06-05 14:43:58 UTC
Post by Paul Aubrin
Batteries technology is a mature one. There is no breakthrough in sight.
For mobile applications (EV, trucks, planes), highly sensitive to energy
density, the situation is not likely to change soon.
The way I see it, there's solutions that could
fit into our existing society, the way we are
already doing things, with minimal effort. By
this I mean solutions that can fit into our
existing distribution & retail outlets (i.e. the
"Gas station") with little modification. So if
we're going to change the world here, why do it
for EVs just so we can curse the world with
dangerous amounts of lithium pollution?

Chom Noamsky
2018-06-05 13:15:26 UTC
Post by JTEM is right
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
[...]
It's all about the emissions credits.

If you don't make an EV, gotta fill your quota by buying them.

It's cheaper to offer a token EV model and "earn" your own credits.

Automakers still lose money on EVs, it just stanches the bleeding.

Basically, bleed the conventional auto market to carry the token EV market.

When Hong Kong did away with subsidies, sales of Teslas went to zero.
Paul Aubrin
2018-06-05 07:09:23 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
Impressive. Huge.

Mar 2018 conventional cars sales:
Midsize: 555,625
Small: 231,529
Luxury: 86,029
Large: 11
Light-duty trucks: 1,097,904
SUV/Cross-over : 746,837

Top sales:
Ford F: 87,011
Chevrolet Silverado: 52,547
Nissan Rogue: 42,151

No EV in the top 20 in March.

Source: www.motorintelligence.com
Bret Cahill
2018-06-05 22:26:51 UTC
Post by Paul Aubrin
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
Impressive. Huge.
No one will deny the U. S. lags behind civilized countries in EV sales.

Now.

But growth rate is what matters a decade from now and the growth rate is higher than the U. S. steel industry between 1860 - 1890.
R Kym Horsell
2018-06-05 22:43:43 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Paul Aubrin
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
Impressive. Huge.
No one will deny the U. S. lags behind civilized countries in EV sales.
Now.
But growth rate is what matters a decade from now and the growth rate is higher than the U. S. steel industry between 1860 - 1890.
Hillbillies dont take much encouragement to reenact their perdiction
in the early 20th cent you'll nebba be abbel two replays da horse.

--
[Cars will never be a thing:]

Horatio Nelson Jackson (March 25, 1872 - January 14, 1955) was an American
physician [b Toronto] and automobile pioneer. In 1903, he and driving
partner Sewall K. Crocker became the first people to drive an automobile
across the United States.

[The journey took around 63 days, used 800 gal of gas for their 2nd hand 2
cyl Winton, and cost around $210,000 in 2016 dollars].

-- wikipedia
Paul Aubrin
2018-06-05 12:54:57 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
Those car owners will be very worried if Tesla goes bankrupt.

http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/tesla-stock-price-wall-street-is-
beginning-to-worry-the-company-might-go-bankrupt-2018-5
"There's growing concern over Tesla's finances
Tesla says it will be profitable by the end of the year and won't need to
raise more cash. Many on Wall Street disagree.
The company lost $3.35 a share in the first three months of the year
while burning through $1.1 billion.
Shares have lost 11% this year amid production delays, a spate of
executive departures, and a bizarre conference call.
Goldman Sachs analysts said last month that they thought Tesla would need
to raise $10 billion in the next 18 months. And this week, UBS analysts
said they thought Tesla would need to raise additional capital before
2018 is out."
george152
2018-06-05 20:25:28 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<https://robertscribbler.com/>
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
And one might ask how many internal combustion units were sold in the
same time frame in the US ???????

---
Paul Aubrin
2018-06-06 06:20:04 UTC
Post by george152
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<https://robertscribbler.com/>
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
And one might ask how many internal combustion units were sold in the
same time frame in the US ???????
Kym Horsell and Brett Cahill are always ready to draw an unlimited
exponential growth from a single month's trend.
AlleyCat
I just love the way the pillow talk with each other. What's up wit dat?
Bret Cahill
2018-06-06 16:18:24 UTC
Post by Paul Aubrin
Post by george152
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<https://robertscribbler.com/>
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
And one might ask how many internal combustion units were sold in the
same time frame in the US ???????
Kym Horsell and Brett Cahill are always ready to draw an unlimited
exponential growth from a single month's trend.
Deniers tink 15 years of 50% growth/year is unlimited?

<CIA>

That's all that's necessary to 86 carbon vehicles and that's assuming the growth rate doesn't go up eben faster.
R Kym Horsell
2018-06-06 18:59:59 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Paul Aubrin
Post by george152
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<https://robertscribbler.com/>
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
And one might ask how many internal combustion units were sold in the
same time frame in the US ???????
Kym Horsell and Brett Cahill are always ready to draw an unlimited
exponential growth from a single month's trend.
Deniers tink 15 years of 50% growth/year is unlimited?
Hillbillies can only see the first line of a google search or a
data table. Numbers bigger than one are "imaginary" to them.
Post by Bret Cahill
<CIA>
That's all that's necessary to 86 carbon vehicles and that's assuming the growth rate doesn't go up eben faster.
--
[On Closed Systems:]
You do know that chemical reactions progress towards the equilibrium
-- Marvin the Martian aka Mike Varney, 23 Mar 2012 12.35 pm
Bret Cahill
2018-06-06 16:19:06 UTC
Post by Paul Aubrin
Post by george152
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<https://robertscribbler.com/>
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
And one might ask how many internal combustion units were sold in the
same time frame in the US ???????
Kym Horsell and Brett Cahill are always ready to draw an unlimited
exponential growth from a single month's trend.
Jus about eber thang in Nature is exponential. Why do you think oiler has a cult like following on utube?

Paul Aubrin
2018-06-08 06:41:33 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Paul Aubrin
Post by george152
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
<https://robertscribbler.com/>
US Electrical Vehicle Sales Hit 24,560 in May as Tesla Dominates
And one might ask how many internal combustion units were sold in the
same time frame in the US ???????
Kym Horsell and Brett Cahill are always ready to draw an unlimited
exponential growth from a single month's trend.
Jus about eber thang in Nature is exponential. Why do you think oiler
has a cult like following on utube?
No most phenomenons follow the logistic (S-shaped) function.
Post by Bret Cahill
http://youtu.be/IUTGFQpKaPU