Global treeing: Forest cover increased 2.24 million km2 (+7.1%) 1982-2016
Add Reply
Chom Noamsky
2018-09-08 09:46:05 UTC
Astonishing...

***

Abstract:

Land change is a cause and consequence of global environmental change.
Changes in land use and land cover considerably alter the Earth’s energy
balance and biogeochemical cycles, which contributes to climate change
and—in turn—affects land surface properties and the provision of
ecosystem services. However, quantification of global land change is
lacking. Here we analyse 35 years’ worth of satellite data and provide a
comprehensive record of global land-change dynamics during the period
1982–2016. We show that—contrary to the prevailing view that forest area
has declined globally5—tree cover has increased by 2.24 million km2
(+7.1% relative to the 1982 level). This overall net gain is the result
of a net loss in the tropics being outweighed by a net gain in the
extratropics. Global bare ground cover has decreased by 1.16 million km2
(−3.1%), most notably in agricultural regions in Asia. Of all land
changes, 60% are associated with direct human activities and 40% with
indirect drivers such as climate change. Land-use change exhibits
regional dominance, including tropical deforestation and agricultural
expansion, temperate reforestation or afforestation, cropland
intensification and urbanization. Consistently across all climate
domains, montane systems have gained tree cover and many arid and
semi-arid ecosystems have lost vegetation cover. The mapped land changes
and the driver attributions reflect a human-dominated Earth system. The
dataset we developed may be used to improve the modelling of land-use
changes, biogeochemical cycles and vegetation–climate interactions to
advance our understanding of global environmental change.

JTEM is right
2018-09-08 18:39:56 UTC
Look. "Hunger Stones" placed at drought levels
CENTURIES AGO prove that droughts only exist
now because of modern fossil fuel use, and this
means there are no forests and... and... and,
um, and acidic oceans & stuff.

WE ALL BOILED AWAY A DECADE AGO!

columbiaaccidentinvestigation
2018-09-09 03:09:56 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
Astonishing...
***
[...]
You posted another article awhile back, if one connects both papers one could conclude that the missing hot spot in the atmosphere above the tropics denailists noted in global warming models would be a result of changing tropical forest. Combustion of fossil fuels has a byproduct of co2 which impact the way energy is exchanged in the atmosphere, and we impact the energy balance by changing the land conditions, sometimes the two interact.

2018-09-09 04:29:46 UTC
You shoulda seen how fast the forests were growin back in the big banglocene!
Bret Cahill
2018-09-09 05:01:56 UTC
You finished putting out all them fires in the Great Smokey North?
Byker
2018-09-09 13:54:40 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
Astonishing...
There are more trees now than ever: https://tinyurl.com/ybkmbypd
columbiaaccidentinvestigation
2018-09-10 12:39:27 UTC
Stupid implication that co2 is not connected to global warming
Bret Cahill
2018-09-13 16:53:30 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by Chom Noamsky
Astonishing...
There are more trees now than ever: https://tinyurl.com/ybkmbypd
Every country is free to choose its own way to reduce its carbon foot print.

Some places plant new growth trees. Other places toss tar goop off the gummint teat.
columbiaaccidentinvestigation
Why post stuff when you really dont understand what you are doing?
R Kym Horsell
2018-09-13 17:43:15 UTC
Post by columbiaaccidentinvestigation
Post by Chom Noamsky
Astonishing...
***
Post by Chom Noamsky
Why post stuff when you really dont understand what you are doing?
35 years just "feels like" forever for a hillbilly.
--
You know you're a denier if #11:
The statement "a trend can't be determined" sounds exactly like "the