Make America Measles-Free Again
Righttwing Morons Abound!
2019-03-12 17:29:22 UTC
Measles Is Making a Comeback. Here's
How to Stop It.
March 11, 2019
Measles, a virus that invades the nose
and throat, causing fever, cough and
phlegm, is one of the most contagious
pathogens on the planet. Before 1963,
it infected some four million people
every year in the United States alone.
Nearly 50,000 of them would land in the
hospital with complications like severe
diarrhea, pneumonia and brain inflammation
that sometimes resulted in lifelong
disability. Of the 500 or so patients
who died from these complications each
year, most were children younger than 5.
Fuehrer dUMPH is with the anti-vaxxers. What do you expect from a halfwit
bozo who claims to know all about everyting but knows little about
anything? Many of his followers are Christian Science cult members who
hate medical science, preferring faith healing.

Trump claims vaccines and autism are linked but his own experts vehemently
disagree
The president has tweeted more than 20 times claiming – falsely – there is
a link between vaccines and autism

If there is one thing pro-vaccine campaigners and their opponents probably
agree on, it is that Donald Trump has provided a major boost to the anti-
vaccine cause.

On more than 20 occasions, Mr Trump has tweeted about there being a link
between vaccines and autism, something experts at the government’s leading
public health institute say is not true. He also repeated the claim during
a Republican primary debate, a remark that was immediately dismissed as
false by the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.

Prior the election, Mr Trump met with four prominent anti-vaccine
campaigners at a fundraiser in Florida – disbarred British doctor Andrew
Wakefield, Mark Blaxill, editor-at-large of the Age of Autism website, Gary
Kompothecras, a chiropractor and Trump donor from Sarasota, and Jennifer
Larson, an entrepreneur who has campaigned against the use of vaccines in
her home state of Minnesota.

The campaigners celebrated after Mr Trump won the election and met with
another anti-vaccine campaigner, Robert F Kennedy Jr (son of Robert Kennedy
who was assassinated in 1968).

Mr Kennedy later told members of his environmental law firm he would be
taking a leave of absence to chair an advisory panel on the issue at the
president-elect’s request. “Mr Trump has some doubts about the current
vaccine policies and he has questions about it” he told reporters.

After news of the meeting emerged, Ms Larson wrote on the Age of Autism
website: “Now that Trump won, we can all feel safe in sharing that Mr Trump
met with autism advocates in August. He gave us 45 minutes and was
extremely educated on our issues. Mark [Blaxill] stated ‘You can’t make
America great with all these sick children and more coming’. Trump shook
his head and agreed.”

As it is, Mr Trump appears not to have so far pulled the trigger on
establishing the advisory panel. However, while Mr Trump has not spoken
further with Mr Kennedy, the latter has apparently spoken with a number of
senior administration officials.

A recent report in StatNews said the 64-year-old lawyer and campaigner met
with senior officials from the Food and Drug Administration and National
Institutes of Health. The FDA said Mr Kennedy met with Dr Peter Marks, head
of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, and other FDA staff on
March 30 2017. Vaccines are regulated by this division of the FDA.

At the end of May 2017, Mr Kennedy met top leaders of the NIH. Director
Francis Collins and Deputy Director Lawrence Tabak attended the meeting,
along with the heads of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases, the National Institute of Mental Health, the Eunice Kennedy
Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, and the
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, the report said.

Andrew Wakefield defends his decision to spread his anti-vaccination
message in America
Mr Kennedy also made news in February last year, when he appeared alongside
Robert de Niro to offer $100,000 (£73,880) to anyone who could provide a
study that showed it was safe to administer vaccines to children. De Niro,
who has an autistic son, triggered controversy the year before when he had
arranged for the Tribeca Film Festival, which he runs, to show Mr
Wakefield’s film Vaxxed, which seeks to prove the link between vaccines and
autism and expose alleged fraud at the CDC.

Daniel Summers, a paediatrician from New England, was among those who
quickly sought to claim the prize, writing in the Washington Post: “It’s
nearing two decades since I graduated from medical school, and in that span
of time I’ve immunised thousands of patients. Not once have I encountered a
case where those immunisations could be plausibly linked with autism.”

He added: “In the off chance that my word alone isn’t sufficient to collect
the $100,000, I’m happy to proffer lots of studies that support the safety
of vaccines. Studies never seem to settle the question for anti-vaccine
activists, but they are the best evidence we could ever have.”

Mr Summers said he had little doubt Mr Wakefield was at the forefront of
effort to try and undermine vaccine safety “which is rather an
accomplishment for someone who's been stripped of his privileges as a
physician”.

Asked about the danger of allowing the claims of the disgraced British
doctor and others to go unchallenged, he said: “The danger is that diseases
that have become fleetingly uncommon will come roaring back. The only
vaccine-preventable illness that has been wholly eradicated is smallpox.
All the rest linger in some pocket of the human population or another, and
without vigilance to keep them at bay, they could come back.”

The Centres for Disease Control, the pre-eminent public health organisation
in the country and part of the Department of Health and Human Services,
strongly encourages that parents vaccinate their children.

Asked whether there was any evidence to support Mr Trump’s assertion of a
link between autism and vaccines, the CDC’s communications department said
in a statement: “Credible scientific evidence shows that vaccines are very
safe and do not cause autism spectrum disorders (ASD).

“CDC, the Federal Drug Administration, and the Advisory Committee on
Immunisation Practices, regularly review data to ensure that vaccine
recommendations are based on the latest available science to provide safe
and effective protection against serious diseases. Concerned parents should
be reassured that recommended childhood vaccines have a strong safety
record.”

It added: “For the general population, maintaining high vaccination levels
is important not only for the individual person but also to protect
potentially deadly diseases from spreading to the most vulnerable among us,
such as patients with weakened immune systems and newborn children who are
too young to be vaccinated.”

andrewwakefield-gmc1.jpg
Disgraced: Andrew Wakefield still maintains vaccines cause autism (Getty)
Mr Wakefield was in 2010 found guilty by the UK’s General Medial Council of
three dozen charges including dishonesty and abuse of children, shortly
after The Lancet medical journal retracted the 1998 study on which his
claims about the MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine were based. The
magazine’s editor said at the time that statements in the article “were
utterly false”.

A decade earlier he had moved to Texas where he continued to promote his
theories. Health officials in Minnesota believe he was partly responsible
for a 2017 outbreak of measles, the worst in decades, among the Somali-
American community in Minneapolis.

He and other anti-vaccine campaigners met several times with members of the
community, which was concerned about what it believed was an unusually high
incidence of autism among Somali boys, something health officials said was
not borne out by data.

Asked about his meeting with the president, Mr Wakefield told The
Independent: “I met him once before the election, when he was running for
the presidency. We had a meeting in Florida. We were there, four of us
representing the issue of autism and its link to immunisation.

Children who receive multiple vaccinations are not at greater risk

Brazil yellow fever vaccination efforts hampered by rumours and fear
“He interjected and said ‘you don’t need to tell me that vaccines cause
autism. I’ve seen it, I’ve seen it personally’. We went on to discuss the
issue of there autism crisis that is set to affect 80 per cent of boys if
nothing is done. He said if he was to be elected he’d do something about
it.”

Asked if was campaigning in America because his reputation had been wrecked
in Britain, Mr Wakefield said: “I was discredited in the eyes of those who
wanted to see me discredited. In other words, those who had an interest in
maintaining the status quo.

“I don’t represent any of them. What I represent is the parents and the
children who have been damaged. Is there a real case to answer? Absolutely.
Do I believe vaccines cause autism? Yes I do. Is the problem equally as
large in the US? Yes it is.”
Righwing Morons Abound!
2019-03-12 17:33:46 UTC
Gee and here I thought you cared about the "innocent unborn"
https://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/rubella_in_pregnancy
https://www.babycenter.com/0_rubella-german-measles-during-pregnancy_952
7.bc
Rightists only oppose a woman's right to choose abortion because their wish
to hold power over them, religious superstition and of course needing an
ample supply of chidren available for child labor and sex. Notice that it's
only the aged old male pederasts of the right who kick and scream about it.
They don't care about innoculations or the welfare of children following
birth.