South Australia power prices to hit among highest in the universe
Add Reply
Chom Noamsky
2018-10-09 15:54:27 UTC
I've pointed out before that unreliable wind and solar actually lock-in
fossil fuels, that's why fossil companies pretend to be allies.

South Australia is proving this to be a fact, they've simply switched
dependency on coal for a dependency on natural gas.

The terrible scenario is that the generation mix in South Australia is
already saturated with renewables, meaning the dependency on NG will be
permanent, if nothing else changes.

It also puts paid to the lie of batteries, unless the claim is batteries
make power so cheap we pay among the highest prices in the universe!

***

ELECTRICITY bills are set to soar this summer, particularly in the
eastern states and South Australia to top the highest power prices in
the world..

And the reason for the price hike is a surge in the price of gas, as
much as 40 per cent higher by January next year than the 2018 average,
The Australian reported.

Worst off is expected to be South Australia, which already has among the
highest power prices in the world.

The state’s renewable energy policies mean it relies on more than 50 per
cent of gas generation to power homes and industry.

https://www.news.com.au/national/power-bills-among-highest-in-the-world-this-summer/news-story/8eeb9ad959a5bdc7b86f78b28c4ad67a
JTEM is right
2018-10-09 19:08:07 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
And the reason for the price hike is a surge in the price of gas, as
much as 40 per cent higher by January next year than the 2018 average,
The Australian reported.
I, in all sincerity, doubt this very much. Prices
will keep going up, sure, but as has been seen
elsewhere that "Alternatives" have taken hold, there
is nothing common in the excuses for price increases
but the price increases themselves are common.

What I'm saying is that if they felt that they
couldn't blame price increases on gas, they'd
blame on the weather... coal... anything.

Unum
2018-10-09 19:39:13 UTC
I've pointed out before that unreliable wind and solar actually lock-in fossil
fuels, that's why fossil companies pretend to be allies.
Yeah, but that's always been bullshit.
So it has nothing to do with renewable energy after all?
John Smith
Multiple economic inputs baffle you?
Unum
2018-10-11 00:31:43 UTC
Post by John Smith
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
I've pointed out before that unreliable wind and solar actually lock-in
fossil fuels, that's why fossil companies pretend to be allies.
Yeah, but that's always been bullshit.
Cite?
You are always welcome to sift through the archives of this newsgroup.
Post by John Smith
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
And the reason for the price hike is a surge in the price of gas, as much
as 40 per cent higher by January next year than the 2018 average, The
Australian reported.
So it has nothing to do with renewable energy after all?
Multiple economic inputs baffle you?
Merely pointing out that his own cite contradicts his claims. Happens
all the time.
Wally W.
2018-10-10 05:04:25 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
I've pointed out before that unreliable wind and solar actually lock-in
fossil fuels, that's why fossil companies pretend to be allies.
South Australia is proving this to be a fact, they've simply switched
dependency on coal for a dependency on natural gas.
The terrible scenario is that the generation mix in South Australia is
already saturated with renewables, meaning the dependency on NG will be
permanent, if nothing else changes.
Which is stupid.

Gas is the best alternative for residential heating fuel.

Stationary power plants are a good use of coal.
Bret Cahill
2018-10-10 05:24:06 UTC
Then why are you whining about batteries?
Unum
2018-10-11 00:29:26 UTC
Deathly afraid of them...
R Kym Horsell
2018-10-11 00:57:22 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Bret Cahill
Post by Chom Noamsky
I've pointed out before that unreliable wind and solar actually lock-in
fossil fuels
Then why are you whining about batteries?
Deathly afraid of them...
Big uns are soooooo spensive!
--
Coal-Fired Power Plant Construction Costs - Schlissel Technical ...
[T]he estimated costs of building new coal plants have reached $3,500 per kW,

Miscellaneous Industrial Costs - State of Michigan
How much does an industrial boiler cost?
Large high-capacity packages boilers will cost
$255 to $345 per horsepower [i.e. ~$US400/kW].
Examples: 1,000 HP x $345 = $ 345,000; 6,000 HP x $255 = $1,530,000. WATER
TUBE is a boiler in which the tubes contain water and steam, with the heat
being applied to the outside surface.
-- https://www.michigan.gov/.../Vol2-36UIP12MiscellaneousIndustrialCosts_121081_7.pd...

[Recent combined-cycle gas plants in the US were about $US900/kW].