Paper: Increasing heat stress in urban areas of eastern China: Acceleration by urbanization
Add Reply
Eric®
2018-12-04 19:37:16 UTC
"Heat stress describes the combined effect of high temperatures and humidity,
posing severe impacts on human society and environment, especially in populated
urban areas. Here we show that urban areas of eastern China have experienced
considerable increases in mean and extreme heat stress during 1971-2014, and
these increases are stronger than the surrounding rural areas. Urbanization
accelerates the increases in heat stress in urban areas by around 30%. This
acceleration is even greater in more populated and developed regions than in
less developed regions."
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2018GL080306
Byker
2018-12-04 20:29:18 UTC
Post by Eric®
"Heat stress describes the combined effect of high temperatures and
humidity, posing severe impacts on human society and environment,
especially in populated urban areas. Here we show that urban areas of
eastern China have experienced considerable increases in mean and extreme
heat stress during 1971-2014, and these increases are stronger than the
surrounding rural areas. Urbanization accelerates the increases in heat
stress in urban areas by around 30%. This acceleration is even greater in
more populated and developed regions than in less developed regions."
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2018GL080306
Then there's this matter of smog:

http://time.com/4617295/china-smog-smoking-environment-air-pollution/

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2056553/smog-linked-third-deaths-china-study-finds

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/china-deadly-smog-rolls-171223082432453.html

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2056553/smog-linked-third-deaths-china-study-finds
Mr. B1ack
2018-12-05 02:35:09 UTC
http://youtu.be/pqdgU5-CcyA
http://youtu.be/1M6s2DJrEaI
http://time.com/4617295/china-smog-smoking-environment-air-pollution/
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2056553/smog-linked-third-deaths-china-study-finds
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/china-deadly-smog-rolls-171223082432453.html
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2056553/smog-linked-third-deaths-china-study-finds
Eastern China is NASTY for sure. REALLY heavy toxic
smog a lot of the time - reminds one of England during
the height of the coal-fired industrial revolution. There's
a good reason a part of England is called the "black
country" ...

Theoretically we're supposed to have learned better ...

The growth of urban areas, now merging into vast
megaopoli, just exacerbates the situation by creating
huge "urban heat domes" and removing the veggies
that help filter the air. If you think southern California
has it bad, cram a billion people into the same space.

A few weeks ago I posted a report indicating that China
was rushing to bring about 1000 new coal-fired power
plants on line. So much for their "green" bullshit.

And there's not much China can DO about all this in
the short/medium-term. Their entire economy is
geared towards rapid growth. They HAVE to up their
profits by at least five percent every year, preferably
eight percent. They've invested vast amounts in
their infrastructures and it HAS to pay for itself real
damned quick. This truth is why Trump knows we
will win the tariff game ... slow-downs hurt China
far more than they hurt us.

By april, there will be a trade deal we both can live
with ... but China is already behind now, dunno if
it can recover what it's lost in these disputes or
whether it will just keep falling further behind. For
sure though they're gonna literally burn the
midnight oil (and coal and gas) to try ... and at
this rate China may literally choke to death on
its own "progress".