Nowhere on the planet has investment in wind and solar reduced electricity prices
Add Reply
Chom Noamsky
2018-10-08 17:36:20 UTC
The assertion is in the headline, and I guarantee I cannot be proven wrong.
JTEM is right
2018-10-08 19:47:09 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
The assertion is in the headline, and I
guarantee I cannot be proven wrong.
Children would have no problems grasping
this: The wind & solar are an ADDITIONAL
cost. They ADD overhead.

You need to keep and maintain (pay for)
your old grid because the wind doesn't
always blow and the sun doesn't always
shine. And both tend to be highly variable
with the seasons.

You need some type of buffering that was
unnecessary with fossil fuels -- like a
hugely expensive battery farm which is
extremely short lived compared to a fossil
fuel plant.

The investment in wind & solar needs to be
paid back, with interest, while still earning
a profit above & beyond that cost.

...now add an easily manipulated "Energy
Market" where supply vs. Demand sets the
price and you have big restrictions on how
low energy prices can go, because of all that
ADDITIONAL overhead, but there is no limit on
how high prices might spike, thanks to all
that new instability...

It's literally impossible for wind & solar to
not result in higher prices.

Retail, of course: What the economy is paying
for that energy, not the utilities.

Wally W.
2018-10-09 03:28:12 UTC
Where is Unum when one needs a good laugh?
Bret Cahill
2018-10-09 03:43:12 UTC
At least one guy on this group pays absolutely nuthin for his solar electricity.

In fact he collects a check.
Paul Aubrin
2018-10-09 06:01:46 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
At least one guy on this group pays absolutely nuthin for his solar electricity.
In fact he collects a check.
Collecting subsidies to produce at twice or thrice the costs of
conventional producers is a characteristic of /green/ industries. It is
wasteful. Wasting economic resources contributes to destroy The Planet
one pretends to be saving. They should be ashamed.
R Kym Horsell
2018-10-09 06:36:25 UTC
Post by Bret Cahill
At least one guy on this group pays absolutely nuthin for his solar electricity.
In fact he collects a check.
Power prices down 10%, too.
Some jokers blame that on the SA big battery.
But I'll just say "you're welcome".
--
The CO2 level is already up by 10% since 1850; by the year 2000, experts say,
it may have risen another 20%, enough to cause a 0.6oC rise in average world
[Just as a joke, the diff between NASA's LOTI for 2000 vs 1880 is .54C].
Wally W.
2018-10-09 11:16:28 UTC
Post by R Kym Horsell
Post by Bret Cahill
At least one guy on this group pays absolutely nuthin for his solar electricity.
In fact he collects a check.
Power prices down 10%, too.
Some jokers blame that on the SA big battery.
But I'll just say "you're welcome".
For what?

For collecting a subsidy at the expense of others?

Please explain how that is a point of admirable pride rather than
opportunism, gouging, scoffing, and/or gloating.
wow & flutter
2018-10-10 20:34:09 UTC
Musk is here?
Chom Noamsky
2018-10-11 17:09:29 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
The assertion is in the headline, and I guarantee I cannot be proven wrong.
Just as I thought.... LOL!