Maersk pledges to cut carbon emissions to zero by 2050
Add Reply
M***@kymhorsell.com
2018-12-05 10:45:03 UTC
Don't look now, but the world economy is changin!

<https://www.ft.com/content/44b8ba50-f7cf-11e8-af46-2022a0b02a6c>
Maersk pledges to cut carbon emissions to zero by 2050
World's largest container shipping group throws down challenge to industry

--
Spain unveils ambitious green energy plan
Madrid is seeking to "reverse years of rising emissions", with an

Economic effects of climate change in Alaska
Climate change could be costing Alaska around $340-700m a year -
0.6-1.3% of its gross domestic product (GDP). The largest economic
effects are associated with costs to prevent damage, relocate, and
replace infrastructure threatened by permafrost thaw, sea level rise,
and coastal erosion, the research finds. "This significant, but
relatively modest net economic effect for Alaska as a whole obscures
large regional disparities, as rural communities face large projected
costs while more southerly urban residents experience net gains," the
authors say.
-- Weather, Climate, and Society

Maersk pledges to cut carbon emissions to zero by 2050
Richard Milne, Financial Times

On climate, the facts and law are against Trump
Richard L Revesz, New York Times

China to launch renewable power quota system by year-end
David Stanway, Reuters

Australian mining giants 'may be breaking law' by ignoring climate
change risks
Ben Smee, The Guardian

Qatar's OPEC exit signals intensifying energy competition beyond oil
Amy Myers Jaffe, Axios

Hotter world threatens the breadbasket of the US
Gregory Meyer, Financial Times

Why are people still living in the western US with the constant threat
of climate change?
Cally Carswell, Vox

Can we grow more food on less land? We'll have to, a new study finds
Brad Plumer, New York Times

Norway to heavily restrict palm oils linked to deforestation
Josh Gabbatiss, The Independent

The Arctic: we don't know as much about environmental change in the
far north as we'd like to think
Hakin Abdi and Daniel Metcalfe, The Conversation

Heavy rains and hurricanes clear a path for supercharged mold
Erik Vance, Scientific American

Imperial Beach, California, sues fossil-fuel companies over sea-level rise
Sarah Kennedy, Yale Climate Connections

China says 3 regions failed to meet energy efficiency targets last year
David Stanway, Reuters

Labor backs Greens plan to block Coalition from underwriting coal power
Katharine Murphy, The Guardian

'Human-caused' climate change is causing sea levels to rise unevenly
Joe Pinkstone, Mail Online

Collin Allen @command_tab 05 Dec 2018 04:20Z
When you copy the pixels containing "President Donald J. Trump" from one
place in the Flynn filing and overlay them on the redacted headline further
down, it sure fits *perfectly* # pic.twitter.com/oW7v6NALV1

Newsweek @Newsweek 05 Dec 2018 10:11Z
Trump lawyer Giuliani says Mueller team "don't have bupkis" despite Flynn
cooperation bit.ly/2RwcLSx pic.twitter.com/Cki8SokRdN

Gazprom Nov Gas Flows to Europe down YoY
Natural Gas World, 04 Dec 2018 10:31Z
In Nov, for once, Gazprom decreased its volume sold directly through
Nord Stream (-6.4% vs Oct) to the EU in favour of increased ...

BHP Billiton Limited
ASX: BHP - 5 Dec, 4:10 pm AEDT
31.83 AUD +0.21 (0.66%) up

Bayerische Motoren Werke AG
ETR: BMW - 5 Dec, 11:18 am GMT+1
74.74 EUR +0.31 (0.42%) up

Kia Motors Corporation
KRX: 000270 - 5 Dec, 3:30 pm GMT+9
30,600 KRW +150 (0.49%) up

Sony Corp
TYO: 6758 - 5 Dec, 3:00 pm GMT+9
5,935 JPY -19 (0.32%) down

Woodside Petroleum Limited
ASX: WPL - 5 Dec, 4:10 pm AEDT
31.58 AUD -0.16 (0.50%) down

Whitehaven Coal Ltd
ASX: WHC - 5 Dec, 4:10 pm AEDT
4.35 AUD -0.050 (1.14%) *** down 1.1% ***

NK Rosneft' PAO
MCX: ROSN - 5 Dec, 10:27 am GMT+3
432.55 RUB -6.45 (1.47%) *** down 1.5% ***

Airbus SE
EPA: AIR - 5 Dec, 11:34 am GMT+1
92.84 EUR -1.43 (1.52%) *** down 1.5% ***

Siemens AG
ETR: SIE - 5 Dec, 11:18 am GMT+1
101.42 EUR -1.58 (1.53%) *** down 1.5% ***

Gazprom PAO
MCX: GAZP - 5 Dec, 10:27 am GMT+3
161.67 RUB -2.53 (1.54%) *** down 1.5% ***

Air France KLM SA
EPA: AF - 5 Dec, 11:34 am GMT+1
9.48 EUR +0.15 (1.63%) *** up 1.6% ***

Royal Dutch Shell Plc
ETR: R6C - 5 Dec, 11:17 am GMT+1
26.68 EUR -0.45 (1.66%) *** down 1.7% ***
Wally W.
2018-12-05 12:20:10 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
Don't look now, but the world economy is changin!
<https://www.ft.com/content/44b8ba50-f7cf-11e8-af46-2022a0b02a6c>
Maersk pledges to cut carbon emissions to zero by 2050
World's largest container shipping group throws down challenge to industry
Maybe MPR should start including stock prices for Maersk in its
wannabe-blog sig.

Going out of business is a sure path to zero carbon emissions.

Will Maersk still be in business in 2050?
Wally W.
2018-12-05 12:40:41 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
Don't look now, but the world economy is changin!
<https://www.ft.com/content/44b8ba50-f7cf-11e8-af46-2022a0b02a6c>
Maersk pledges to cut carbon emissions to zero by 2050
World's largest container shipping group throws down challenge to industry
Go ahead and look now: MPR left an important word out of its subject
line. Maybe it was an Unum-like "word choice?"

Does MPR know the difference between
"cut carbon emissions to zero"
and
"cut **net** carbon emissions to zero"?

Maybe yet more of it programming needs to be fixed, or simply taken
off line and scrapped.
Wally W.
2018-12-06 05:57:32 UTC
Post by M***@kymhorsell.com
The Arctic: we don't know as much about environmental change in the
far north as we'd like to think
Hakin Abdi and Daniel Metcalfe, The Conversation
<http://theconversation.com/the-arctic-we-dont-know-as-much-about-environmental-change-in-the-far-north-as-wed-like-to-think-108126>
most research locations north of the Arctic Circle have developed via
a range of particular historical contingencies (easy access by boat or
road, for instance, or a stable and open political climate), many of
which have had nothing to do with scientific considerations.
We found that a third of all study citations originate from sites
within 50km of two research stations: Toolik Lake in Alaska and Abisko
in Sweden.
our understanding of the impact of climate change on the Arctic is
biased in favour of sites that are well connected and well resourced.

... settled science ... ha ha ha.