Chom Noamsky: The solution is already old!
JTEM is Remarkably Flexible
2019-03-15 05:38:17 UTC
Now I don't expect me to read all this but here's me,
back in 2009, laying out the solution to all my fellow
"Liberals."

I never had to sell matters to conservatives, I always
tried to convince my fellow liberals...

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.atheism/6F472lPYEbk/cTyJHGOvv94J

Now I don't expect anyone to read all that so I'll give
you the cliff notes:

IF, and I do mean IF, we honestly have to "Ration"
the planets natural resources, IF it's come time for
that, IF it's something that makes sense then there
is a *Way* better method for doing this. It's the
U.S. Federal system.

See, here in the United States the federal government
regulates trade BETWEEN the states. Each state
governs trade within it's borders, they can pretty much
do anything they want there, but only the federal
government has the power to regulate trade between
states.

Did you know that, at one time, someone was granted
a monopoly on steamboat traffic in New York harbor?
Well, some clever people sailed their steamboat from
the New Jersey side to New York and the resulting
court battle confirmed that, yes, New York had no
business trying to regulate INTERSTATE commerce,
and as the steamship was sailing from New Jersey, that
makes it interstate...

So how does this relate to the entire "CO2" cluster F***?

Easy.

Each and every nation on this earth is free to use it's
resources any way it goddamn pleases. There are no
limits, no restrictions, their sovereignty is fully
recognized and respected. International agreements
can only cover transactions BETWEEN sovereign states,
not what these sovereign states decided to do with
their own resources within their own border.

If China wants to dig up all of its coal? Fine. The treaty
would cover what China buys from other countries...

Also: All energy/fuel would be measured strictly in terms
of BTUs.

Also: No "Common Markets."

I mean, you can have all the "Common Markets" you
want, but if we need to regulate energy/fuel the way these
"Global Warming" freaks claim we do, why should the
rest of us sit back and let Italy cheat by pretending that
they are the same sovereign state as Germany, virtually,
and only sometimes, like when it benefits them?

We either regulate trade between sovereign states or not
at all. No giving Europe a pass because they rigged the
system to favor them.

So, that's it: Agreements based on & preserving national
sovereignty. Treaties can only cover trade between sovereign
states AND ONLY sovereign states -- ignoring all artificial
groups like "Markets."

Chom Noamsky
2019-03-15 22:51:58 UTC
Post by JTEM is Remarkably Flexible
[...]
The issue is playing out here in Canadian courts right now, whether the
federal govt has the power to force provinces to tax carbon or not.
Every province has complete unfettered ownership and control of its own
natural resources, even more so than Merkin states.

So, if the courts decide the federal govt doesn't have jurisdiction, a
national carbon tax is toast and the matter will be completely up to
each province.