Major climate legislation coming from Democrats
Add Reply
b***@gmail.com
2018-11-08 23:50:34 UTC
November 06, 2018 11:53 PM

Democrats plan to use House majority to prep for major climate change legislation in 2020

After winning control of the House of Representatives Tuesday night, Democrats plan to counter the Trump administration on climate change policy, aiming to convince the American public of the seriousness of the problem ahead of the 2020 presidential election and the urgency of addressing it.

“Climate change has to be one of our highest priorities,” Rep. Ro Khanna of California, the newest Democrat to join the bipartisan Climate Solutions Caucus, told the Washington Examiner in an interview. “We should be voting on a bold new green deal to tackle climate change as one of the first three things we do during our first 100 days.”

Democratic leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California recently said she would make climate change a major issue with Democrats controlling the lower chamber. She told the New York Times she would resurrect the defunct select committee on climate change, which the GOP killed when it took control in 2011.

Pelosi’s lieutenants are amplifying her act-now message, in the wake of a recent United Nations-backed report that warns the worst impacts of global warming are coming faster, and harder, than previously thought.

“Democrats recognize that climate change is a significant national security and public health concern that must be addressed,” Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-Md., the Democratic Whip, told the Washington Examiner. “Instead of denying climate change is real and taking steps to exacerbate it, we ought to take bipartisan steps to address it.”

But that doesn’t mean Democrats expect major legislation to combat climate change becoming law during the next two years, in a divided government led by global warming skeptic President Trump.

Democratic leaders say committees with jurisdiction over energy and environmental issues are likely to spend the majority of their time conducting oversight.

That means to expect plenty of hearings probing the Trump administration’s regulatory rollbacks — and what role energy companies might have played — in decisions such as rejecting the international Paris climate accord, weakening former President Barack Obama's Clean Power Plan to limit carbon emissions from coal plants, and expanding oil and gas lease sales on public lands.

“We have serious concerns with how Trump’s EPA has consistently sided with the special interests over people’s health and the environment, and we will look to restore the environmental protections that have been gutted over the last two years,” said Rep. Frank Pallone, D-N.J., the ranking member of the Energy and Commerce Committee who would be slated to take over the panel in the new Congress.

Pallone, in a statement to the Washington Examiner, said he would seek to hold “the Trump Administration accountable for dangerous policies that make climate change worse.”

more here:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/democrats-plan-to-use-house-majority-to-prep-for-major-climate-change-legislation-in-2020
Chom Noamsky
2018-11-09 00:13:53 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
“Climate change has to be one of our highest priorities,”
The 2016 presidential debates all but ignored climate change

https://grist.org/election-2016/climate-airtime-presidential-debate/
Unum
2018-11-09 00:54:19 UTC
Why is chumpsky blabbering about 2016?
Chom Noamsky
2018-11-09 03:40:04 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
“Climate change has to be one of our highest priorities,”
The 2016 presidential debates all but ignored climate change
https://grist.org/election-2016/climate-airtime-presidential-debate/
Why is chumpsky blabbering about 2016?
Survey after survey shows climate ranks at or near the bottom of voter
priorities.

What magic thing is going to make the public interested in climate
issues in 2020, when they weren't interested in 2016?

These days when public figures start babbling about climate, people
groan and their eyes glaze over.
Unum
The coward ran away from the question. Why is chumpsky blabbering about 2016?
Chom Noamsky
2018-11-09 06:14:03 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
“Climate change has to be one of our highest priorities,”
The 2016 presidential debates all but ignored climate change
https://grist.org/election-2016/climate-airtime-presidential-debate/
Why is chumpsky blabbering about 2016?
Survey after survey shows climate ranks at or near the bottom of voter
priorities.
The coward ran away from the question. Why is chumpsky blabbering about 2016?
It was the thing you clipped:

Unum
2018-11-09 16:06:59 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
“Climate change has to be one of our highest priorities,”
The 2016 presidential debates all but ignored climate change
https://grist.org/election-2016/climate-airtime-presidential-debate/
Why is chumpsky blabbering about 2016?
Survey after survey shows climate ranks at or near the bottom of voter
priorities.
The coward ran away from the question. Why is chumpsky blabbering about 2016?
"What magic thing is going to make the public interested in climate issues in
2020, when they weren't interested in 2016?"
Even more explicit evidence of global warming, obviously. Things change
over time, despite the deep desire of reactionary cretins to always look
to the past.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/232007/americans-want-government-more-environment.aspx

The majority of Americans say protection of the environment should be a
priority, even at the risk of curbing economic growth, and believe the U.S.
government is not doing enough to protect the environment. About three-
quarters support spending more government money on solar and wind power, and
support higher emissions and pollution standards for industry.
Chom Noamsky
2018-11-09 17:05:24 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Now tell the audience what the priorities are when people are
specifically asked about climate issues.
Unum
2018-11-09 19:00:19 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
What for? "The majority of Americans say protection of the environment should
be a priority"
Chom Noamsky
2018-11-09 17:10:49 UTC
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
One of the biggest public opinion polls ever conducted, now close to ten
million responses.

http://data.myworld2015.org/

Look waaay down, yup that's climate action at the bottom, which ranks
lower than phone/internet access.
Unum
2018-11-09 19:10:54 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Not even a poll, lol! But even there, "action taken on climate change" ranks
about in the middle amongst clickers in the USA. Well above "better job
opportunities" and "political freedoms". "protecting forests, rivers and
oceans" ranks even higher.
Chom Noamsky
So even Merkins admit it's not even close to a top priority.
Unum
2018-11-09 23:53:04 UTC
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by Unum
Post by Chom Noamsky
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Merely pointing out that chumpsky lied when he said "Survey after survey
shows climate ranks at or near the bottom of voter priorities". I can
understand why he would be desperate to backflip on his claim.