Lower Mainland cities, developers brace for rising water levels
Byker
2018-09-10 17:51:16 UTC
The page I mentioned also states that sea levels are actually dropping
on
the west coast of Vancouver Island (Tofino) as the oceanic plates slide
underneath, pushing the island upward.
There's something like 60 feet of stress built up since 1700.
There's a similar amount built up on San Andreas fault near Palm Springs,
Ca. When it lets go, it's gonna spoil quite a few games of golf...
M.I.Wakefield
2018-09-10 19:36:10 UTC
Post by Byker
There's something like 60 feet of stress built up since 1700.
There's a similar amount built up on San Andreas fault near Palm Springs,
Ca. When it lets go, it's gonna spoil quite a few games of golf...
That's a lateral fault ... the southern section hasn't let go since 1680,
and when it does, it could generate a M 8.1 earthquake with 35+ feet of
ground motion.

Cascadia is a subduction zone ... when it goes, it could generate a M 9.0
earthquake, with significant tsunamis ... it's fortunate that north of San
Francisco, the larger cities aren't on the exposed coast.

And the fun fact is that, from the geologic record, there appears to be an
uptick in activity along the San Andreas following a Cascadia event.
Byker
2018-09-10 20:52:05 UTC
Post by M.I.Wakefield
And the fun fact is that, from the geologic record, there appears to be an
uptick in activity along the San Andreas following a Cascadia event.
Maybe we'll have a cascading chain reaction: https://tinyurl.com/ydaz3vck

My heart would just BLEED for the Left Coast <sarcasm>...