BC Hydro is in full conservation mode at its Vancouver Island dams
gordo
2019-03-10 19:45:23 UTC
“Our records go back 50 odd years and we’ve never seen a February
quite like this both on Puntledge and Campbell River and also on the
Ash River system in Port Alberni,” said Watson.

It’s a similar situation those watching the Cowichan River system are
worried about.

On Tuesday they warned Lake Cowichan is only 40 per cent full when
normally it’s close to being near capacity at this time of year.

“It’s very unusual for us to see the river and the lake this low at
this time of year,” said Parker Jefferson, of the Cowichan Stewardship
Roundtable. “Normally we’d expect to see the lake at this level in
August so yes it’s very concerning.”
https://www.cheknews.ca/bc-hydro-is-in-full-conservation-mode-at-its-vancouver-island-dams-541766/

---
https://www.avg.com
R Kym Horsell
2019-03-10 21:06:40 UTC
?Our records go back 50 odd years and we?ve never seen a February
quite like this both on Puntledge and Campbell River and also on the
Ash River system in Port Alberni,? said Watson.
It?s a similar situation those watching the Cowichan River system are
worried about.
On Tuesday they warned Lake Cowichan is only 40 per cent full when
normally it?s close to being near capacity at this time of year.
?It?s very unusual for us to see the river and the lake this low at
this time of year,? said Parker Jefferson, of the Cowichan Stewardship
Roundtable. ?Normally we?d expect to see the lake at this level in
August so yes it?s very concerning.?
https://www.cheknews.ca/bc-hydro-is-in-full-conservation-mode-at-its-vancouver-island-dams-541766/

If only you'd brought this up a couple weeks ago before they gave a cup of
water to the last koala.

How about Q-fever? We got plenty of that over here all of a sudden.
--
Upcoming events:
18 Mar 2019 Global SOTC NOAA

Study reveals surprising rates of Q fever in Australia
ABC News, 08 Mar 2019
An new study has found as many as one in 1 in 5 Australians have been
exposed to the debilitating disease Q fever. In a report published in the ...

Cuba acknowledges climate change threats in its constitution
Nature.com, 08 Mar 2019
Cuba has become the latest country to enshrine the fight against climate
change in its constitution - provoking a mixed response from the ...

Shareholders to punish one-woman boards by voting against their main men
ABC News, 08 Mar 2019
The nation's largest companies with just one female director will be told to
lift their game or face punishment by their shareholders, including votes
against the re-election of their often-male chairmen.

Assaad Razzouk @AssaadRazzouk 07 Mar 2019 18:17Z
The wind of change is blowing:
Oil & gas ad campaigns "come at a time when the industry is facing
increasing investor pressure to act on climate climate, difficulty in
recruiting talent, and mounting legal challenges related to emissions"
About time too ft.com/content/5ab7ed# pic.twitter.com/BiHHHvb2ca
[Fossil investments in renewables by type:]

Tim Cook just changed his name to Tim Apple on Twitter
Business Insider, 07 Mar 2019 18:25Z

Avalanches Menace Colorado as Climate Change Raises the Risk
InsideClimate News, 09 Mar 2019 17:38Z
Snow scientists say extreme avalanches are among the accelerating impacts of
climate change in mountain regions. Global warming can affect ...

Trump invokes new demand for extracting billions of dollars from U.S. allies
Washington Post, 09 Mar 2019 18:48Z

Blame wood-burning stoves for winter air pollution and health threats
phys.org, 09 Mar 2019
It may be natural, but there's nothing safe or environmentally sound about
heating your home with wood.

US regulators clear path for genetically modified salmon
phys.org, 09 Mar 2019
U.S. regulators on Friday gave the green light to salmon genetically
modified to grow about twice as fast as normal, but the company behind it
may face legal challenges before the fish can be sold domestically.

Regenerative agriculture finds solid backing as decades of success shows renewal
ABC News, 10 Mar 2019
While many farmers are struggling with drought, some have found a pathway to
recovery using regenerative agriculture techniques.

Why Brexit may see our 'special' relationship with the UK go up in flames
Opinion
ABC News, 09 Mar 2019 19:16Z
From Australia, watching Brexit is a bit like watching a loved grandparent
in physical and mental decline. Now it's time for our relationship to
further mature, writes Nick Rowley.

Winter storms threaten heavy snow, high winds in north; hail and twisters
south and east
USA TODAY, 09 Mar 2019 19:27Z
Two powerful winter storms threatened strong winds, heavy snow and even
blizzard conditions in the north; hail, possible tornadoes in the South.

Gentle giants given second chance as rescue Clydesdales become therapists
ABC South East SA, 09 Mar 2019 20:14Z
These horses are helping humans through therapy - but most have had a
helping hand themselves.

For every square kilometre in this 'pristine' region of Australia, there is
a feral cat
ABC Ballarat, 09 Mar 2019 20:15Z
There are an estimated three times as many feral cats in Victoria's Otways
region than the national average, according to new research from the
University of Melbourne.

Tesla pushes delivery timeline for new standard Model 3 orders as demand soars
Electrek, 09 Mar 2019 20:27Z
Tesla has updated the delivery timeline for new standard Model 3 orders -
pushing them by 4 weeks as demand from the first week of orders is expected
to keep ...

AMS @ametsoc 09 Mar 2019 21:04Z
Both @CommerceGov and @NASA urge @FCC to remove radio spectrum proposal from
website that could result in negative impact on #science data. Read more on
this important topic, including quotes from @ametsoc policy program memo,
in @washingtonpost article: washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/0#

Gavin Schmidt @ClimateOfGavin 10 Mar 2019 01:01Z
Replying to @ametsoc @CommerceGov and 3 others
Note key frequency being auctioned off is near 24 GHz which is what is being
used for total water vapor sensing - a key weather and climate variable.
Presumably the degree of interference depends on power of ground
transmitters, but this seems a little unwise. pic.twitter.com/VmFftYCcJI

Gavin Schmidt @ClimateOfGavin 09 Mar 2019 22:02Z
Replying to @mrmattsimmons @mattwridley
Sorry. Here, from this paper semanticscholar.org/paper/Global-a#
pic.twitter.com/9yJiPh6F62
[SO2 declining:]

After years of budget blows, relief is in sight for WA households (photos)
ABC News, 09 Mar 2019 22:20Z
West Australian Premier Mark McGowan promises to ease pressure on household
budgets, saying the state's improved financial position will be used to
minimise pain in the upcoming state budget after years of big hikes to
utility charges.

Trump attacks 'Wacky Nut Job' Ann Coulter over border wall criticism
The Guardian, 09 Mar 2019 23:08Z

Hambacher Forst @HambiBleibt 09 Mar 2019 23:52Z
Replying to @DrWolffzilla
Feedback mechanism of heating oceans and bodies of water causing x10 more in
global damages is just 1 aspect of #carbon fueled #climate crisis, it's
effect on life in oceans combined with #co2 acidification starting to impact
foto & zoo #plankton after destroying #coral globally.
[Winter storm intensity:]
pic.twitter.com/IExfhNN5lR

2018 was California's worst year of fire ever, federal report confirms
Los Angeles Times, 09 Mar 2019
No state had it worse with wildfires last year than California, a federal
report released this week confirmed. According to the National Interagency
Coordination ...

Health Officials Warn New Yorkers to Vaccinate Their Pets as Rabid Raccoons
Appear in Manhattan
Gizmodo, 09 Mar 2019
The Big Apple is staring down a problem it hasn't seen in roughly eight years:
rabid raccoons in Manhattan. The New York City Department of Health and Mental ...

phil @phil03926136 10 Mar 2019 03:27Z
Replying to @kenringweather
Or to summarise, anything you don't understand is fake science and anything
you believe, is true science. So astrology and cat paw reading are true
science...because you believe it. Don't bother reading this, you won't
understand it, therefore it is fake carbonbrief.org/explainer-how-#

Nationals MPs not ruling out move on leader Michael McCormack before next
election
ABC News, 10 Mar 2019 10:08Z
In a looming dilemma for the Coalition, Queensland Nationals say they want
coal generation among the projects shortlisted for taxpayer subsidy - and
they want Michael McCormack to demand it.

Cyclone likely to hit Mozambique by Thursday
Lowvelder, 10 Mar 2019 11:29Z
This tropical storm is now called #Idai and has been named by Meteo ... in
central Mozambique on Thursday or Friday as an intense cyclone.

Philadelphia says no to totally cashless future
phys.org, 10 Mar 2019
With an increasing number of US businesses no longer accepting cash,
Philadelphia-the City of Brotherly Love-is taking a stand to protect the
so-called "unbanked" and will force merchants to accept greenbacks.

Al Jazeera Weather @AJEWeather 10 Mar 2019 14:27Z
Tropical cyclone Idai threatens western Madagascar

Al Jazeera Weather @AJEWeather 10 Mar 2019 14:27Z
Deep snow falls again in US Upper Midwest and eastern Canada

Al Jazeera Weather @AJEWeather 10 Mar 2019 15:26Z
Eastern Australia prepares for an Autumn heatwave

Trump Budget to Request $8.6 Billion in Additional Wall Funding
The New York Times, 10 Mar 2019 15:42Z
Washington. President Trump will ask Congress on Monday for $8.6 billion in
additional funding to build a wall along the United States border with Mexico, ...

Wall Street has its first big stumble for the year
ABC News, 10 Mar 2019
After surging since Boxing Day, Wall Street has just suffered five straight
days of falls. So is the party over and why is the ASX rising as the economy
heads south?

Norway's $1 Trillion Wealth Fund To Dump All Its Oil & Gas Stocks
OilPrice.com, 08 Mar 2019 16:32Z
Norway's sovereign wealth fund will exit all investments in oil and gas
production acting on a govt recommendation in line with a more cautious ...

Mixed bag at Big Lots, ExxonMobil downgraded, Tilray's new rating
Yahoo Finance, 08 Mar 2019 16:04Z

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump 08 Mar 2019 20:53Z
Aluminum prices are down 12% since I instituted Tariffs on Aluminum Dumping -
and the U.S. will be taking in Billions, plus jobs. Nice!

US Hiring Plunges to 20,000 as Wage Gains Top Estimates
Bloomberg, 08 Mar 2019 13:35Z
US hiring was the weakest in more than a year while wage gains were the
fastest of the expansion and the unemployment rate fell, a possible sign that ...

Dow futures fall 200 points after jobs report badly missed estimates
CNBC, 07 Mar 2019
US stock index futures fell to their lows of the day on Friday after the
February jobs report badly missed expectations. At around 8:30 a.m. ET,
Dow Jones ...

China heads for a trade recession as exports crash 20%, and that's bad news
for Australia
ABC News, 08 Mar 2019 07:05Z
While seasonal conditions impacted the result, last month's collapse in
China's imports and exports was far bigger than expected and points to
serious problems in the global economy.

Shares fall, Aussie dollar tests 70 US cents as ECB seeks to avoid 'slow-
motion crash'
ABC News, 07 Mar 2019 21:16Z
Share markets across Europe and the US fall after the European Central Bank
does an about-face on potential rate rises, sending the euro plunging
against major currencies and the Australian dollar down against the greenback.
gordo
2019-03-11 17:51:36 UTC
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 21:06:40 +0000 (UTC), R Kym Horsell
Post by R Kym Horsell
[...]
Q fever unheard of in Canada.Conditions on Vancouver Island no where
near what was experienced in Australia.

---
https://www.avg.com
columbiaaccidentinvestigation
2019-03-11 21:55:12 UTC
“Our records go back 50 odd years and we’ve never seen a February
quite like this both on Puntledge and Campbell River and also on the
Ash River system in Port Alberni,” said Watson.
It’s a similar situation those watching the Cowichan River system are
worried about.
On Tuesday they warned Lake Cowichan is only 40 per cent full when
normally it’s close to being near capacity at this time of year.
“It’s very unusual for us to see the river and the lake this low at
this time of year,” said Parker Jefferson, of the Cowichan Stewardship
Roundtable. “Normally we’d expect to see the lake at this level in
August so yes it’s very concerning.”
https://www.cheknews.ca/bc-hydro-is-in-full-conservation-mode-at-its-vancouver-island-dams-541766/
---
https://www.avg.com