The July 1, 1982 Ford Assault Theory According to Kavanaugh's Own Calendar
The Petulant Pumpkin In Chief
2018-09-29 20:29:38 UTC
When Republicans and Kavanaugh called an FBI investigation an attempt by
Democrats to slow things down, Whitehouse threw up the July 1 theory as
one example of something that needs more investigation.
"Let me have one example of where investigation might help," he said,
holding up a blown-up version of Kavanaugh's July calendar. "Dr. Ford
said that Kavanaugh and (Mark) Judge and PJ (Patrick Smyth) and at least
one other boy were all at a house."
"Well," said Whitehouse, circling names on his blowup with a sharpie,
"we know Brett Kavanaugh was there because it's his schedule, and here's
Judge, and here's PJ. Here are all those three named boys and others at
a house together just as she says."
"She said Kavanaugh and Judge were drunk and that she had a beer," said
Whitehouse, circling the word "skis" on the calendar entry and
suggesting, as Bump did, that it might be short for something like
"brewskis." (This is July, so they likely weren't snow skiing.)
"They were drinking, just as she said," Whitehouse said.
"Now I will concede that the two girls aren't mentioned," Whitehouse
said. "But spot me this. If you had just sexually assaulted one of the
two girls, would you add the girls' names to your calendar? I doubt it."
"This may, may be powerful corroborating evidence that the assault
happened, that it happened that day, and that it happened at that place,
but with no FBI investigation we can't tell," said Whitehouse.
The way Bump had gotten to seize on July 1 was through Ford's testimony.
She said that after the alleged attack, she had run into Judge at the
Safeway in Potomac Village, Maryland, where he was working.
In his memoir "Wasted: Tales of a GenX Drunk," which chronicles his time
as an alcoholic in high school and after, Judge, who the committee did
not cross-examine, mentions working at a grocery store in the weeks
before football camp.
We know football camp occurred in August, because it's on Kavanaugh's
calendar. Ford said her attack happened a number of weeks before she
encountered Judge at the store. So that date, July 1, when Kavanaugh
went to his friends' house, is within the time period.
We should mention here that the prosecutor hired by Republicans to
question Ford and Kavanaugh touched on this date during her questioning
Thursday.
She specifically asked about the July 1 entry and Kavanaugh identified
the people there. She did not, however, ask what "skis" were. And she
then pivoted to ask if a party like the one Ford described had occurred,
would Kavanaugh have documented it. He said he would have.
Of the people he identified from his calendar as being at the party,
several have said they believe Kavanaugh and that no such event as the
one Ford describes occurred.
Tom Kane, Kavanaugh's friend at the time, said on CNN Friday an FBI
investigation would simply supply facts and "add layers of nonsense."
"In our circle those days, I pretty much knew what those five or six
guys were doing at every moment, and there was no memory of this. It
didn't happen," he said. "Plus, our network, our community, the Catholic
school kids, we would have known. These things stick."
He also mentioned the July 1 theory and said the house they would have
visited is not in line with Ford's description.
He said the "Timmy" in the calendar -- Tim Gaudette -- lived in a
townhouse 10 miles from the country club and not a single-family home
like the one Ford described in her testimony.
"I saw published today, somebody is floating the notion that there was
something on July 1 at Tim's house, and he lived ten miles away from the
Columbia Clubhouse, and it was a townhouse," Kane said. "You want to go
and get Mark Judge's work schedule from Safeway so you can back into an
empty date on Brett's calendar and someone who doesn't understand when
it happened can pick a day? You know we're just playing games. This
needs to be a finite process."
None of the others have specifically mentioned the July 1 date.
Judge, the other person identified by Ford as an attacker, through his
lawyer, issued a statement denying any of the allegations, although he
was not cross-examined by the committee, as Democrats have requested.
PJ Smyth put out a statement last week saying he had no knowledge of the
party Ford described.
Three others -- "Squi," whose name is Chris Garrett, Bernie McCarthy and
Gaudette have not issued statements or done interviews.
Kavanaugh had earlier said he wouldn't have been drinking heavily on a
weeknight, although Judge, his friend at the time, describes often going
to work hungover.
During questioning Thursday, Booker tried to get Kavanaugh to admit that
"skis" was indeed "brewskis." Kavanaugh did not specifically say that,
but did allow he may have had something to drink that night after
looking at the calendar.
He said nothing on the calendar could remotely fit Ford's allegations.
That was outside counsel Rachel Mitchell's final line of questioning
before Republican senators on the committee took over Kavanaugh's
questioning.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/28/politics/brett-kavanaugh-july-1-theory/ind
ex.html
Big party at Timmy's!